Replacing Brake Lines/Tubing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My father just moved my truck out of the driveway and said the brake pedal went all the way to the floor. There is a puddle of brake fluid on the ground, too. I haven't gotten a chance to look yet, but I'm sure I need to replace all of the lines. Has anyone had this done by a shop? Just wondering what a reasonable price would be. Thanks, in advance.

nsperf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where is the puddle located.

I am wondering if it is located drivers side behind the front wheel or just around the fron wheel?

Let us know.

FYI I usually just replace the line that is bad, unless of course they are all rotted to the point on breaking.

Not sure what your labor rate is there but here about 60.00 an hour.

Based on that I would say to replace all your lines would take a decent shop about 10 - 12 hours, plus materials. Again this is all the lines.

I would find the bad line and replace it.

Weird is was that the lines I had to replace were from the master cylinder to the ABS unit and 1 from the ABS unit to the first junction of the drivers rear brake line. All my others were perfectly fine.

My cost about 2 hours of labor and about 20 dollars in brake line.

I wish I had known is was so easy to remove the fender liner, it would have cut the time and frustration down.

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the truck in the shop 2 months ago and my mechanic said all the lines were in bad shape and needed to be replaced soon. Actually, he was talking about the back lines only--he didn't take a look at the front. I think the leak is driver's side rear.

nsperf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have a good shop that you trust then I would recommend replacing what needs done.

After all stopping is something you dont want to be an issue with 6000 lbs at 60 mph with your self and your family in.

There are somethings I just look at and go Ahh like a small oil leak or leaking exhaust manifold. Something like brakes I dont even risk, do it right and be done. If it needs them all repalced then do it. Some expenses cant be done without.

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just stopped by to see my mechanic (borrowed my sister's vehicle). Unfortunately, the earliest he could get me in is next week. He is estimating $500 to $1000 to replace all the lines in the vehicle since it will take a full day of labor. He will use coated tubing and bend all of it exactly like factory (reuse the factory hangers, etc). Sounds fair to me for the amount of work it is. Part of me wants to cheap out and just replace the bad section (which would cost less than $50 I bet), but I know that wouldn't be a safe choice or a good long-term investment. Anyway, does that price sound fair? Anything I need to look out for?

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had broken lines replaced on mine 3 separate times now. First time it was the line the went to the front driver caliper, when they replaced that and bled the system a few more lines broke so they fixed those too. The second time it was a line off of the master cylinder. And the third was actually last week, I was driving and the pedal went to the floor slowly, luckily I managed to shift it into 1st and use the ebrake until I turned off on to a side road. Turns out a line near the fuel tank had burst and the one on the passenger side was an equally bad shape, to get both those lines fixed they charged me $80. I think the other two incidents cost more because the lines were more than just a simple straight piece of tubing

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had broken lines replaced on mine 3 separate times now. First time it was the line the went to the front driver caliper, when they replaced that and bled the system a few more lines broke so they fixed those too. The second time it was a line off of the master cylinder. And the third was actually last week, I was driving and the pedal went to the floor slowly, luckily I managed to shift it into 1st and use the ebrake until I turned off on to a side road. Turns out a line near the fuel tank had burst and the one on the passenger side was an equally bad shape, to get both those lines fixed they charged me $80. I think the other two incidents cost more because the lines were more than just a simple straight piece of tubing

After hearing that, I think I'll just have him do all the lines after all. I don't want to take that risk (especially with my parking brake not working either...). I'll just get it fixed right and save the time/money/headaches.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
crazy... having the same problem with my neon... driving home and pedal went to the floor... still trying to find leak... either porportioning valve on master cylinder or the line coming out of valve.... been raining all day so its gotta wait...

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ya i had a buddy with an expedition he custom ordered the line he needed from autozone replaced it and started bleeding the brakes then he said ill order that one now did the same and long story short he replaced them all. he was pissed i thought it was funny but this happened before i bought my expy lol i only broke one so far removing the caliper i really need to replace them all especially since i have no ebrake haha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1