Rusted brake line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
Hello folks , I have been on here sometime back.
I have a 98 Expedition EB 4x4 with a rusted brake line just in front of the driver side rear tire and do not have anyone to help me when I get finished repairing the line, to bleed the lines. My question is, I read an article where a man had the same thing and he said that he left the line on the passenger side open for 12 hours and that got all the air out of the line. Question 2 has anyone done that before and did it work. Sounds kinda wild to me.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's called gravity bleeding. Never done it on an Expedition but I don't see why not. Just make sure to keep the reservoir full of fluid.

Junkyard Jack

Reaction score
Yeah, nothing wrong with a gravity bleed, I've done it many times. Plenty of ways to bleed it out by yourself. If you can get a rubber hose to fit on the brake bleeder you can run that hose into a can of brake fluid and then make sure you keep the master cylinder full you can pump the brakes and that way the bleeder cannot pull more air in. As for the gravity bleed you can just get a container of DOT3 and place the whole container cap off upside down in the brake reservoir and it'll fill the reservoir as it drips out of the caliper. Good luck!

EngineerMike

Reaction score
1. No reason Gravity Bleeding shouldn't work tho haven't tried it on the Expy. Works on my diesel motorhome
2. IIRC Harbor Freight has a small hand pump vacuum bleeder device (or maybe I saw it elsewhere) for a single handed job to make it go quickly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire