Replacing factory stereo..some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I have a 2000 Expedition with the "Premium Sound" package. I've been debating putting an aftermarket CD player in for ages (hate to loose the rear controls and factory cd changer. To me, the factory system is aweful...Could be my system specifically. Anything above 1/3 -1/2 of the volume turned up results in serious distortion.

Anyways, I finally ordered a new Kenwood head unit, speakers sub etc. I plan to use the power from the Kenwood to power the 4 door speakers, and add an amp and a single 10" sub somwhere in the rear. I would really like to use the factory speaker wiring for the door speakers. I read all I could and have come to this conclusion. I am hoping someone can verify this:

1997-1998 "Premium sound" systems have an outboard amp (separate from the factory head unit).
1999-2002 "Premium sound" systems have the amplifier built into the head unit.

Do I need the antenna adapter for a 2000 model(goes from aftermarket standard antenna to Ford antenna)?

There is no way to use the Ford factory changer with an aftermarket head unit. Is this true?

1999xlt

Reaction score
Your idea will work, however you won't be able to use the rear controls or cd changer. You will need an antenna adaptor (metra # 40-FC10) and harness (metra # 70-1771) you will also need a dash kit (metra 99-5802). Hope this helps you out some.......

I removed the rear controls and cut a piece of black ABS as an insert. This way I have a blank area and it looks factory as well.

Last edited: