Replacing starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
warddaman, it is fairly straight forward. Not any more difficult than other vehicles. Disconnect the battery at the battery. Next, remove the wire off of the starter. Now, remove the 2 bolts from the starter (one is out in the open, the other you need a long extension to access as it is between the block and the starter. Once both bolts are loose, remove the starter. Installation is the reverse process.

The "hard" part of this is that the exhaust system on some trucks can give you a hard time. Also, getting at the bolt on top of the starter can be a real pain. I have to place one hand around the starter to find the bolt and then I use the other hand to move the ratchet into place. I then use the first hand to guide the socket into place. When installing, I put the ratchet on the top bolt, using the ratchet to hold the bolt in place. Then you can position the starter near where it needs to go and be able to look between the flange of the starter and the block and be able to guide the end of the bolt into the proper hole. Once you get it started, then you can start the other bolt.

OP
OP
W

warddaman

Reaction score
Thanks Thermo!! I watched a video on youtube and they said to take off the fan belt and remove the alternator to get to the starter. I thought that was a little bit excessive.

nsperf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also recommend removing the wheel well liner.

Takes only a couple of minutes and makes getting to the starter much easier.

Takes only a coupl of minutes to put it back on too.

OP
OP
W

warddaman

Reaction score
Thanks all!! I have my local mechanic who is going to come to my work and install for $75. Just got a new starter from Advance Auto for $150. The deal included 15% off the purchase plus $50 gift card on the next $100 you spend (must purchase online/store p/u works). Since I have shocks to replace on our sunfire it was a win win.

Sir.Gregory

Reaction score
:idiot:Shoulda just saved yourself an easy $75 by doing it yourself! LoL.. Changing a starter is the first thing I ever did by myself when I was 18 on my 1990 Chevy Caprice "Classic" I want another one of those.. :p
It really is an easy job though, just like Thermo described it :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2