Replacing Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor with Tire Spoons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
One wheel sensor has bitten the dust in my 2008, so I'd like to replace it. I've broken down many tire beads and replaced many tires using a hammer and tire spoon, and I figure I'll do this myself. The tire guys around here want $150 for the labor with me providing the new banded sensor.

So now I have the new Motorcraft sensor that clips onto the band inside the wheel. Any tips for not ripping the band off while breaking the bead on the tire? I've used a tire hammer, a jack and a wooden 4 x 4 in the past, but I'm afraid the bead may rub the sensor off or break the band on its way down.

Can anyone tell me exactly where on the wheel the band is located? I suspect it's just inside the outside rim in the dropped area of the wheel, just opposite (180 degrees from) the stem.

Thanks for the help and for any tips you can offer...

Last edited:

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The band is located right in the middle of the rim, you will not damage it at all by breaking the bead of the tyre and using tyre levers to remove the tyre. I did the exact same thing a few years ago, I marked each tyre with the location of the tyre valve, so I could put the tyre back on in the original position (to not upset the balance), then removed each tyre, the sensors clip out of the band and the new ones click in, refit the tyre, then program the units to your car, (requires turning the ignition on and off a few times to get tha car in programming mode) then you need a little trigger unit that you operate near each wheel, my spare wheel did not have a pressure sensor fitted (or even a band to fit a sensor) I have a 2008. Hope that helps.