Restoring the finish on faded plastic trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The grey finish on the exterior plastic trim (bumpers, running boards and lower door panels) of my '03 Expedition has faded. I know it's a common problem to us all. So, I'm planning to restore it using the Solution Finish Trim Restorer product.

But before I start, I'd like to address a few minor scratches and rough spots on my front and rear bumpers. My question is, has anyone else has attempted this? Is it something you can smooth out using a fine grit sandpaper? Any tips or hints on how to do this are welcome. Thanks!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That depends if you have an XLT with the textured black trim sand paper will smooth it out so it’s not much of an option. If you have the smooth painted trim fine sandpaper won’t hurt. From the 2nd gens I’ve checked out in parking lots with this fade it seems to be oxidation caused by UV Rays. Some seem to just lighten color wise and some actually get rougher deeply oxidized surface. Post pics of your results maybe it will help others find a good solution. The last resort if that doesn’t work would be to paint or dye the trim.

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
I had good luck with 1500 grit paper and a wet sand. But it does depend.
Do a small spot (like on the roof where it cannot be seen and you can do a good job)

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
For the paint that is.
For trim, just use Mothers Back to Black. It restores any color plastic and just sprays on.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions. The color of my '03 Expedition is Arizona Beige and the color of the plastic bumpers and lower door panels is GREY. The rubber window trim and plastic side-view mirror housings are BLACK. I read posts on various forums over several days and watched many videos. I decided to go with the Solution Finish products to restore the color. I ordered a 12 oz bottle of Solution Finish Fusion GREY and Solution Finish BLACK.

The BLACK arrived first so I started with the mirror housings and window trim.

Black Rubber Window Trim
I park my car outside and the window trim rubber had spots and was heavily oxidized. I first washed and dried the car. Then using painters tape, I taped off the glass and paint around the trim. I mixed a 50 / 50 solution of white vinegar and water in a bowl. I purchased an 8-pack of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sheets. I gloved up, cut the Magic Eraser sheets in half and quarters, dipped them in the solution and used the sheets like a very mild sandpaper to clean the oxidation. Afterwards I wiped off the trim surfaces with alcohol. After that dried, I applied the BLACK Solution Finish Trim Restorer according to the directions (wipe on with an applicator. Wait a few minutes and wipe off with a microfiber cloth). It looked ALOT better than before I started. Once rubber starts to degrade I don't think it'll ever restore back to 100%.

Black Side-View Mirror Housings
I used painters tape to mask and protect the paint finish where the housing meets the car. On the underside of the mirror, I also masked the clear plastic light lens cover. The car was already clean and dry from washing. So, I gloved up and wiped the plastic down with alcohol. After that dried, I applied the BLACK Solution Finish Trim Restorer according to the directions (wipe on with an applicator. Wait a few minutes and wipe off with a microfiber cloth). I used a 1" disposable foam brush to get the Solution Finish into the nooks and crannies. I'm really impressed with how this turned out as the mirror housing looks like new.

After Care
I listened to a podcast of the Solution Finish product line founder. He recommended using a spray-on product for after care - Meguiar's D4510 Plastic & Vinyl Coating. It doesn't require masking. I'll look for it at my local Auto Parts store.

I'm going to continue to work on all the black plastic surfaces and then the start on grey ones (bumpers and lower door panels) when the GREY product arrives.

Anyway, I hope others may find these details helpful.

Mako

marlinpruett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used these products on my 2007 bumper cover after trying several of the "Black" products sold at auto stores. Going on two years and it still looks like original finish.You have to take the cover off to do a decent job but it is easily removed. Follow the instructions!
IMG-6089.jpg
IMG-6090-1.jpg

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there is a product called Cover All at the local parts store. Spray it on and looks great, product lasts a long time. Amazing how many people ask me if I got a new car.

James McCracken

Reaction score
The grey finish on the exterior plastic trim (bumpers, running boards and lower door panels) of my '03 Expedition has faded. I know it's a common problem to us all. So, I'm planning to restore it using the Solution Finish Trim Restorer product.

But before I start, I'd like to address a few minor scratches and rough spots on my front and rear bumpers. My question is, has anyone else has attempted this? Is it something you can smooth out using a fine grit sandpaper? Any tips or hints on how to do this are welcome. Thanks!

for the faded trim get some SEM trim paint. Two cans will be enough. Tape off all the areas you don’t want painted. At least 6 inches above the trim. I just done mine two weeks ago along with my grill.

Less is more take your time and it drys fast so you can do it outside bs in a garage 6FF97F9E-77BA-4DB5-9A00-1BBA40AC9A14.jpeg