Reverse light replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The reverse lights on my 11 xlt are crap. IMHO. What is out there to boost their output? I can't seem to find any real good LED replacements that fit the small wedge base (T10) 921. Would be nice if they were 3156s. Short of hanging additional lights off the bumper, thoughts?

I'm working my way through LED replacements. Interiors, puddle lamps, and front markers are done. Brake lights and front 3157 ambers are on their way.

Last edited:

DJLobo79

Reaction score
OP
OP
J

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a pair of these on Ebay from a US seller.

2X Super Bright CREE R5 9W Backup Reverse Light Bulb T10 T15 912 921 | eBay

I haven't installed them, but did complete a full LED interior and license plate light replacements and man, what a difference it makes. The Cree LED's are super bright. I'm pretty sure they won't disappoint. I'll try to install today and upload pics later on.

Thanks for the link, I'll check them out.
If you could get pics, that would be great.

DJLobo79

Reaction score
Check out the attached pictures. I was not backed up to a wall, but rather a fence. As you can see, i did not apply any filters to my camera, and the one with No Light shows nothing in the background. The one with Light on shows the fence line, trees and the car next to mine. And that was just that driver side bulb. These are bright and only cost about $12. Get em', you wont regret it.

Attachments

• LED Bulb.jpg
    LED Bulb.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 173
  • No Light.jpg
    No Light.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Light On.jpg
    Light On.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 195
OP
OP
J

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got some similar Cree based bulbs. It has a projector on the end and emitters around. I should get them in a few days.

OP
OP
J

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've installed the new lights. Very impressive for such little bulbs.

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
JimmyM - do they washout the camera at all. Both my f150 and wifes Expy need reverse bulbs. I have tried a few in each and been disappointed. Our windows are tinted (live in FL) and it makes it difficult to see the through the side mirrors with windows up.
Tis is the first I have seen 50W replacements - any fitment issues?

OP
OP
J

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
JimmyM - do they washout the camera at all. Both my f150 and wifes Expy need reverse bulbs. I have tried a few in each and been disappointed. Our windows are tinted (live in FL) and it makes it difficult to see the through the side mirrors with windows up.
Tis is the first I have seen 50W replacements - any fitment issues?
The lighting is very white and better than stock. The "50W" rating I think is a bit ambitious. Perhaps they used the maximum mfg lumens for each emitter and found a weak 50W incandescent bulb that was close. These are NOT like having 50W halogen bulbs. And 50W of LED power would be enormous.
They are a definite improvement over stock. I don't have a rearview camera, but if daylight doesn't wash it out. these won't.
There's a little gap next to the hitch receiver that I might put a small 10W LED spot/flood light in the future. It can just be wired into one of the reverse lamps since they only draw ~0.6-0.7A.