Rewire fogs to come on with parking lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Johnathan M

Johnathan M

Reaction score
I have searched and searched for the codes to enable Bambi mode in FORScan but they don’t seem to exist for a 2013 Expedition. They exist for 2015 and up and for many years of F-150s, but none of those codes work on the 2013 Expedition.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmm. My 04 and 16 you can turn on the fog lamps while the parking lamps are on via the normal switch..... coming on with only the headlights defeats the purpose of fog lamps.

Simon Clowes

Reaction score
Actually even using the same bulb and a different filament there can still be a change in current drawer, which is relate to the wattage of the lit element. Some bulbs have a higher wattage rating for one than they do for the other.

Here is what I would do (by the way radio/electronics tech for over 40 years). Unplug the harness going to one Fog light. if you do not throw any error codes, I would then install the relay and tap into the parking lights for it's activation voltage. Find a matching plugs at your local parts shop and wire them so that the fog light power goes to the switched contact on the relay (sorry without one in front of me I cannot recall the terminal number but think it's 86). The other terminal would go to ground. Now from the supply line direct to the battery. This way, the fogs are isolated from the other lights, but still switched by turning on the Parking Lights.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You definitely need to cut the original power wires on each. Backfeeding power is never a good idea and cutting them is the better splice than tagging onto the line anyway.

I still think there us a way in forscan but I've never found an expedition spreadsheet. They say use F-150 but I'm not chancing it.

OP
OP
Johnathan M

Johnathan M

Reaction score
I still think there us a way in forscan but I've never found an expedition spreadsheet. They say use F-150 but I'm not chancing it.
I have tried the codes for some other vehicles (including 2013 F-150) but they don’t work on my 2013 Expedition. Also some of the newer vehicles have more digits in that 726-11-01 line of code. Mine only has 4 digits plus the 2 checksum digits. Some vehicles have 8 digits plus the 2 checksum digits in that location. And some of the newer vehicles have the Bambi mode farther down in 726, in areas that don't even exist in my 2013. I don't have it up in front of me now, but I think my 2013 only goes to 726-27-XX, whereas some of the newer vehicles go all the way up to somewhere around 726-51-XX.

If I make a change that I'm not sure will work, I take a picture with my phone of the way it originally was, and then if it doesn't work, I can easily change it back to the way it was. And of course I saved all the AS-Built data prior to doing any work at all in FORscan. I've messed around with it quite a bit and changed several other things, but cannot figure out how to do the Bambi mode on my 2013. That's why I've pretty much given up on that route and am looking into other options to have fogs on with my brights.

OP
OP
Johnathan M

Johnathan M

Reaction score
Hmmm. My 04 and 16 you can turn on the fog lamps while the parking lamps are on via the normal switch..... coming on with only the headlights defeats the purpose of fog lamps.
Mine works the same way... fogs come on with the switch. I'm guessing you didn't read my original post carefully, or maybe I didn't explain myself clearly, but what I'm trying to do is get my fogs to stay on even with high beams. They are already on with parking lights and low beams, but I want them on all the time. They help light up the area directly in front of my Expedition and out to the sides where the high beams don't reach. My thought process in tying them into the parking lights is that the parking lights are on all the time that the headlights are on (including when the high beams are on), therefore my goal would be accomplished.

On vehicles with separate bulbs for highs and lows, this is not as much of an issue. My 2007 MKZ has separate bulbs for highs and lows, and when I switch to high beam, the lows stay on as well, lighting up the road nicely close up and at a distance. But my Expedition has one bulb for both highs and lows, so when I switch to highs, the lows go off and leave me wishing for more light close up and out to the sides.

OP
OP
Johnathan M

Johnathan M

Reaction score
I have done that in the past on a Chevy Silverado by wiring a diode from the parking lights to the existing fog light relay in the fuse box under the hood. The diode will allow the parking lights to send voltage to the fog light relay and requires very little current because you are merely turning on the relay. The diode will also prevent any current flowing from the fog light circuit back to the parking lights.
I like this solution. It doesn't seem like there would be any safety issues and it seems to be the simplest solution that I have heard. Doesn't require messing with any factory wiring. However, I have never done anything with diodes. I know how to solder, have installed extra lights inside and out of my vehicles, installed subwoofers, re-wired entire houses (I'm a remodeling contractor by trade), and so on. But never having done anything with diodes, I have no idea what kind to purchase. I looked on Amazon and it looks like there are many different options. I'd appreciate it if you could educate me on what type of diode I need to purchase so i get the right thing. Thanks!

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hopefully someone has mentioned to you that it is illegal to have your fog lights on with your high beams in some states. That is why they are wired as they are from the factory. Just thought I would mention it......

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe add a switch inside in series with the relay trigger to turn them off if needed... (like inspection)

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe add a switch inside in series with the relay trigger to turn them off if needed... (like inspection)
That's what I do with my off-road LEDs behind the grill. I 3D printed a switch mount that is installed on the turn signal stalk so I can access both the high beams and LEDs with just my left hand.