Road trip coming up - preventative project ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've owned my 2011 XLT for about 8 months now. The truck has over 180k on it, but the engine is a reman with about 40k. It has no issues that I can identify or anticipate, but I'm wanting to take the family on a 1,700 mile round trip vacation this summer, and I'm trying to think of things I could do to avoid an unnecessary breakdown. Specifically, I'm thinking the reman. engine just got all the belt drive components swapped over, so they all probably actually have 180k miles. So for instance: Should I replace the belt and all the idler/tensioner pulleys? Just because of age and mileage, even though there are currently no noticeable problems? What other things would you check and/or replace preventatively given the age and mileage?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wouldn’t hurt to have new belt and pulleys. Just buy quality stuff.

Check spare tire pressure and make sure you have the jack and all the tools.

Other than that, I wouldn’t worry about it. I took my 2000 on a few cross country road trips with over 200k miles on all original equipment.

Cranky007

Reaction score
Have a look at the tranny cooler lines. I had one blow apart right at the end of a 4000km trip. Couldve been bad if I was in the middle of nowhere.

OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have a look at the tranny cooler lines. I had one blow apart right at the end of a 4000km trip. Couldve been bad if I was in the middle of nowhere.
Should it be obvious what I'm looking for in terms of corrosion, etc., or do they fail at a connector or someplace that doesn't jump right out at a glance?

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go back to page three (as of this morning). Near the top is a thread titled "6R80 Transmission Cooler Lines Warning". He did a good job of explaining and there's a couple video links. Made me aware of future stuff.
Good luck...

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've owned my 2011 XLT for about 8 months now. The truck has over 180k on it, but the engine is a reman with about 40k. It has no issues that I can identify or anticipate, but I'm wanting to take the family on a 1,700 mile round trip vacation this summer, and I'm trying to think of things I could do to avoid an unnecessary breakdown. Specifically, I'm thinking the reman. engine just got all the belt drive components swapped over, so they all probably actually have 180k miles. So for instance: Should I replace the belt and all the idler/tensioner pulleys? Just because of age and mileage, even though there are currently no noticeable problems? What other things would you check and/or replace preventatively given the age and mileage?

I would do an inspection of basic items also.

Check / replace engine air filter. Check coolant hoses (soft?). Check coolant level. Inspect tires and spare - including proper inflation. Check (and clean if needed) the front of the a/c condenser. Change oil & filter (OEM Motorcraft) prior to trip. Check and ensure jack and tools are clean and all present. Any wheel locks - is the key present? Check all exterior lighting. Insurance and registration car in glovebox?

On road trips - I always take a first aid kit, flashlight and a battery / 12-volt air inflator. I have my spouse carry a spare fob / key.