Rocker panel repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Porterhouse2

Reaction score
I am looking to replace my rocker panels. I'm a novice welder so I would like to try to repair these my self. I would also like to repair or replace a couple of bad rust spots. I have two rust spots, one on the passenger side at the rear of the rocker panel turning upward as well on the drivers side. I do not know what these parts are called. Could someone help me with what these parts are called and where to find the replacement parts. Thanks James

Attachments

• IMG_20220221_182944065_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220221_182944065_HDR.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 32

Mikezr

Reaction score
Not sure if you can buy the panels that are inside the door jam area. You can buy the rocker panels for sure but they wouldn't cover the area in your picture.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am looking to replace my rocker panels. I'm a novice welder so I would like to try to repair these my self. I would also like to repair or replace a couple of bad rust spots. I have two rust spots, one on the passenger side at the rear of the rocker panel turning upward as well on the drivers side. I do not know what these parts are called. Could someone help me with what these parts are called and where to find the replacement parts. Thanks James
If your truck's not an EL then the 2006 rocker panels will fit. Lots of cutting and welding but it'll come out nice if you take your time.

ELs wanting a factory look can buy two sets of those and hack/weld them up to get the extra length. Alternatively (and the route I'll take) you can buy more generically-shaped rockers and weld them to fit:

Those second ones don't go up the door frame so you'll be looking at additional metalwork to cut/patch where you have rust creeping up.

Mikezr

Reaction score
Good to know I couldn't find a link to the weld in one's anywhere. Thanks

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those second ones don't go up the door frame so you'll be looking at additional metalwork to cut/patch where you have rust creeping up.
I was thinking this was probably beyond my skill level, and after looking at these replacements and the damage, I'm sure it is. Time to call some body shops!

Attachments

• PXL_20220303_181057741.jpg
    PXL_20220303_181057741.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 25

Mikezr

Reaction score
Little crispy for sure. Unless your a skilled body man it's not a simple job for sure. I have an f150 that had all that replaced and even a good eye can hardly see it but I've seen some that are just awful. Get what u pay for I guess

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 with 130,000 miles. The rockers are shot. With the price of replacing the truck, I'm wondering if I should put the $3,500 into doing the job or just drive it for another 50,000 miles the way it is... I usually keep these until they die which is about 225,000, but as I get older I enjoy the high mileage work less and less...

Mikezr

Reaction score
Well that's a tough one there it's one of those things If you don't she'll hit 350 000 if you do it'll calf on you the next day lol.

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't care, except that driver's side step is starting to flex pretty harsh at the rear mount. With two kids, I don't need it letting go with one of them on it.