Rough Idle 2003 5.4 - Anybody else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I have a 2003 Expedition with the 5.4 engine - bought new Dec 24 2002 and currently has 11,300 miles. We started noticing a difference in the idle while setting at a stop light about 4 weeks ago. The vehicle has been to the dealer 3 times and they have yet to fix the problem. First trip - reprogrammed the computer; Second trip - cleaned 2 plugs (said they looked like they had been wet - possible water in gas); Third trip - service manager said the rough idle was normal for the 5.4 engine. I went off on him (3 strikes and you are out). Told him if it was normal then why has it idled perfectly (couldn't even tell it was running) for the first 11 months we had it. We have scheduled another appointment to leave it next Wednesday for more trouble shooting. HELP EXPY owners ! ! Is this condition normal? If not does anyone know what could be causing this before I go back to the dealer? Wife also said sometimes it won't crank the first time she tries to start it - motor just turns over. The second time she tries it starts.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the classic IAC valve beginning to take a dump. Odd though, with such low mileage...

Anyway...describe "Rough idle". Does the whole truck shake? Does it only do it in gear? Park? When cold? Hot? (meaning: normal op temps) etc. etc.

OP
OP
G

It seems to do it only after it has warmed up and it is most noticable when in gear setting at a stop light. The truck does shake violently but you can feel it via the seat of your pants. Looking at the tach you can't see the needle jump any. The 2nd trip to the dealer I left it running and told them I wanted the mechanic to hook it up to the analyzer before I cut it off. The mechanic got in the EXPY and said he could feel it. We pulled it over to the analyzer and I watch the screen - it looked like a bar graph with 8 charts and a rpm box. The 8 lines were jumping about on the screen and the rpm box was dancing around (+ - 600 rpms). The mechanic told me there should be just a straight line across all 8 cyclinders when it was running normal. He also popped the hood and you could see the motor twitching as it skipped. Does this still sound like the IAC valve?

OP
OP
G

Correction to previos reply: The truck does NOT shake violently but you can feel it SKIP OR SPUTTER via the seat of your pants.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by TLayman
Does this still sound like the IAC valve?

No. Not now. When they crap out you won't be able to idle.

Now it sounds like an "spark" problem.

What did the tech say??

OP
OP
G

I only talked to the mechanic after the second trip when he replaced 2 spark plugs. He said it was runnig correct after he replaced the plugs and hooked it back up to the analyzer. I took his word for it and left to only feel it skipping again when I was setting in my garage 24 miles later. My thought is that the engine cooled down while he was working on it and he done the final test with it cold. My wife called me when she was going to pick it up, after the third trip, and informed me that the Service Manager said they found no problem and that the skip was normal for the 5.4 engine. That's when I left work and went stright to the dealer to have a word with the service dept. before she picked up the EXPY. Did not get to talk to the mechanic after this trip, it was close to 5:00 pm and he was either gone for the day or took off running when I started in on the service department staff. Don't get me wrong, I strongly believe in the old saying "you can catch more flies with honey" but when I feel like someone is jerking me around or taking me for a fool I have to speak my peace.

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How can engine skipping be considered "normal"?

I don't suppose skipping payment can be considered normal as well?

OP
OP
G

Your right Keydo ! !
When I was expressing myself to service I asked them what would they do or how would they feel if the roles were reversed and it was their $35,000 vehicle doing this and I was telling them it was normal. They agreed that they would be mad also after 3 trips to service.
I am getting some replies on other forums saying they think it is the IACV also.

OP
OP
G

Took it to the dealer yesterday and they replaced the IACV. First 2 stop lights no rough idle, stop light ten minutes later the problem was back. They said they talked to Ford and Ford said the rough idle was normal. They told the dealer to have me drive another expy to prove it. My question is still this; "if it is normal, then why has it not been that way for the first 11 months of ownership or 11,000 miles?". I guess I will go talk with the dealership owner Saturday to figure out what the next step is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djahmed786