Rough Idle 2003 5.4 - Anybody else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wal92tt

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Expedition with the 5.4 engine - bought new Dec 24 2002 and currently has 11,300 miles. We started noticing a difference in the idle while setting at a stop light about 4 weeks ago. The vehicle has been to the dealer 3 times and they have yet to fix the problem. First trip - reprogrammed the computer; Second trip - cleaned 2 plugs (said they looked like they had been wet - possible water in gas); Third trip - service manager said the rough idle was normal for the 5.4 engine. I went off on him (3 strikes and you are out). Told him if it was normal then why has it idled perfectly (couldn't even tell it was running) for the first 11 months we had it. We have scheduled another appointment to leave it next Wednesday for more trouble shooting. HELP EXPY owners ! ! Is this condition normal? If not does anyone know what could be causing this before I go back to the dealer? Wife also said sometimes it won't crank the first time she tries to start it - motor just turns over. The second time she tries it starts.
I realize this thread is 15years old but what did the OP end up doing? Has the lemon law been used? Has the truck been fixed or simply sold with the issue? People want to know!

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Expedition with the 5.4 engine - bought new Dec 24 2002 and currently has 11,300 miles. We started noticing a difference in the idle while setting at a stop light about 4 weeks ago. The vehicle has been to the dealer 3 times and they have yet to fix the problem. First trip - reprogrammed the computer; Second trip - cleaned 2 plugs (said they looked like they had been wet - possible water in gas); Third trip - service manager said the rough idle was normal for the 5.4 engine. I went off on him (3 strikes and you are out). Told him if it was normal then why has it idled perfectly (couldn't even tell it was running) for the first 11 months we had it. We have scheduled another appointment to leave it next Wednesday for more trouble shooting. HELP EXPY owners ! ! Is this condition normal? If not does anyone know what could be causing this before I go back to the dealer? Wife also said sometimes it won't crank the first time she tries to start it - motor just turns over. The second time she tries it starts.

The 5.4 has a 90 degree formed vacuum hose on the passenger side rear, that gets a hole in the bottom of it...run your fingers over the tubing and as your finger seals the hole, the idle will rise and it will smooth out.

I had to replace this on both of my 5.4's

jeff