Rough idle @ operating temp and idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MPBGT

Reaction score
I have a 04 Expedition 4.6. It idles fine when it's cold,but once it's up to operating temp it seems to idle rough, but inconsistently. It feels like an intermittent miss or something out of balance.
The car has new-plugs, coils, egr controller and egr valve, fuel filter.
I have cleaned- PCV valve, throttle plate, mass air sensor.

I had the car smoke tested for vacuum leaks it had none and had it run on the computer where it read perfect, all sensors were reporting, no misfires, no fuel issue. The mechanic was stumped.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar issue? Any further suggestions on what to check?

Last edited:

MattB

Reaction score
I am having a simliar issue. I have changed many parts and the idle speed in P and N now idles as it should when I rev the engine up some. It use to drop down to low RPMs and either stall out or try to.

is the idle an issue while being in P or N or is it while you are driving?

I cleaned the throttle body this past weekend which helped the idle at P and N, but now I am working the idle issues while driving from point A to point B without any issues. I will be checking the FPDM today and hopefully this will resolve my issue.