Rough Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ICrushedAPrius

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm almost positive it is your IDLE AIR CONTROL. It's common for Expy's and especially Excursions to need this replaced. It cost me about 300 bucks to get done.
Your idle air control will vary your RPM's depending on weather (cold/hot) fuel used, etc. By adding/restricting air flow to make the fuel/air mixture leaner or heavier.

ICrushedAPrius

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm almost positive it is your IDLE AIR CONTROL. It's common for Expy's and especially Excursions to need this replaced. It cost me about 300 bucks to get done.
Your idle air control will vary your RPM's depending on weather (cold/hot) fuel used, etc. By adding/restricting air flow to make the fuel/air mixture leaner or heavier.

OP
OP
A

ajspellm

Reaction score
Well just got it back from the shop and they say that both bank 1 and 2 are running lean. They are quoting me $875 to replace the intake plenum. They say that they are made of plastic and tend to warp over time and it needs to be replaced. Does that sound correct or is there something else cheaper that could possible be bad?

ppeck

Reaction score
Lane24 Rough Idle

I would like to thank Lane24 for the valuable information on that hose.
My 2003 Expediton started missing and had a rough idle and stalled a couple of times.
Took it to Autozone and had them hook up their obd reader. Codes po171, po174, p2195, and p2197 popped up on the reader.
I cleaned the MAF and had no change. Put in fuel injecter cleaner and had no change.
Looked on this site and found Lane24's thread. It took a little while to find the damaged elbow but shure nuff that was the problem. Thanks again

stang99gtv8

Reaction score
Had exact same problem with mine last winter. PCV valve and hose was replaced for like $50, good as new.

gwinnch

Reaction score
Lane24, thanks for the vacuum leak heads up. Found a cracked rubber connector between the pcv and the heated air inlet adaptor (i think) on the passenger side of my throttle body, and replaced it with a 2" section of 3/8" id radiator outlet hose i had floating around...i'll let you know how that works. Found this thread searching codes P9600 & P9602. Have been getting P0171 & P0174 for awhile. More backstory: Got a P0305 & P0316 this morning before I found the vacuum leak. Going to run it now & see what codes I still have. 156K on the motor and 15K on the fuel filter. All plugs changed about 125K.
Wouldn't have found that vacuum leak, even though it was right in front of me, without your photos, etc. Lane24. Thanks! Stay tuned....

gwinnch

Reaction score
Started right up this morning (had been hard to start) and has not thrown any codes after being started & stopped 4 times. Thanks again.

webfeet69

Reaction score
iaciaciac the sky is falling

Everbody is sayin iac, i disagree!11 my 02 was doing the same thing and one of first things i check is the mas. for 5 $ you can get a can of cleaner just for this. all you have to do is take off the air cleaner clamp and look in side and see the mas. before you go any further disconnect the battery. Then spray the senser inside the hose going to the throttle body. let the residue evaporate then reinstall and give it a try. mine was doing the same thing and this cure worked>

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
I Don't think everyone is saying IAC, just one guy. I think we are saying PCV hose. IAC is common thing for shops to tell you who don't know about the 'elbow problem' . Yeah, I think the first thing most of us does is clean their MAF. I clean my MAF, or mas as you call it whenever I change my oil. It is talked about quite often in other threads related to these codes. But thanks for mentioning it here. Someone will def. make use of the info.

Last edited: