Rough shifting transmission when stopping and starting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Carl Keef Jr

Reaction score
When I am coming to a stop, it's like the transmission is late to get the notice to downshift and roughly comes to a stop. Same thing when I start driving again. I give it gas and it sits there for a second or two and then it's like it slams into gear. Today, I took my foot off the brake after coming to a stop, gave it some gas to make a turn onto a highway frontage road, and it started rolling backwards a bit before it slammed into drive and took off. It nearly made me hit the car that was behind me. Occasionally, it will get really bad and I will pull over, turn off the engine, start back up, and then it will be fine. I have done the adaptive transmission learning reset mentioned here: Ford Quick Tips #66: Harsh Shifting Transmission Fix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWMliD_3s3o. I recently had the transmission fluid and filter replaced and they said everything looked good. I have also changed the differential fluid. Any ideas on what is causing the issue? Thanks in advance for your help. 2010 Ford Expedition Limited 5.4 3v 160,000 miles

Last edited:

2009Limited

Reaction score
Just curious, have you ever changed the spark plugs? I had an issue I thought was my transmission for two years... turns out it just needed new spark plugs.

OP
OP
C

Carl Keef Jr

Reaction score
No. It's not something that I even considered as the issue. I was already planning to change the plugs in the next few months, so I guess I will make that a priority. Thanks for this tip.

OP
OP
C

Carl Keef Jr

Reaction score
Just curious, have you ever changed the spark plugs? I had an issue I thought was my transmission for two years... turns out it just needed new spark plugs.
No. It's not something that I even considered as the issue. I was already planning to change the plugs in the next few months, so I guess I will make that a priority. Thanks for this tip.

2009Limited

Reaction score
Yes, because of this forum I learned that the spark plugs should be changed every 90k miles. My issues started at about 150k and I had a wide range if issues which felt like a transmission such as hesitation and a slamming when I thought it was a downshifting. Transmission guy said transmission was NOT my issue. I finally found some information on here to change out the plugs before doing anything else.

This is the video I followed for changing out my plugs