Thump when stopping and sometimes when taking off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2011 XLT (175k mi), which I've only owned for a couple of months, has a pretty consistent 'thump' (it's somewhat muffled or muted) when coming to a stop, and only happens just as the vehicle has quit moving (not as you are slowing down). It's just one single thump that you sort of feel in the floorboard, no other lurching forward or late downshift type of sensation at all - just the thump. It will also do it occasionally when taking off from a stop, too. Just as you are taking off. Same thing - one, single thump.

I thought it could be the 'slip bump' thing, so I removed the driveshaft and greased up the splines with a PFTE grease, but it seems to make no difference.

I'm assuming I'm not the only one with this symptom, so I'm hoping someone here has some ideas! Thank you, as always!

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might be a engine mount or trans. mount.
That's where I would start. Have had that with a transmission mount that was bad. Also check bushings in suspension. Son's F150 (yes completely different suspension) had a bad leaf spring bushing and it felt just like that. May be a control arm bushing on ours.

OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That actually makes a ton of sense, especially after looking at the design of that mount. I'm wondering if it can be "buffered" by filling it with polyurethane sealant, strips of rubber, etc., without having to replace the transmission mount right away?

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed. Common issue with loose swaybar ends link bolts and sometimes the related bushing "D" clamp bolts. Check with a torque wrench.

Dade34

Reaction score
There's also a known issue with the lubrication of the drive shaft spline going into the transfercase/tranny

Tradman2018

Reaction score
Yes- My 2013 F150 had the thump too. Almost always happened upon coming to a stop. I read on a Ford forum that it was a well known issue that essentially stemmed from the drive shaft having an occasional tendency to bind where it came into the transmission or another location and would thump/pop. There was a bushing kit to alleviate the problem but I just put up with it. May or may not be the OP's issue.

Reaction score
Observe underneath the car while somebody in the driver's seat holds the brakes while shifting between drive and reverse. (to calm your nerves, chalk the wheels or raise wheels off the ground)

I had the infamous rear diff mount thump that was very similar to what you described. Relatively easy/straightforward fix.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire