Running Board Motor - replacing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My truck is a ‘15 with 117,000 miles on it and my boards still work. Honestly Jeff, you and I will both find our boards dead sometime in the somewhat near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My '12 Gator L with 136k mi has boards that work, but one opens with a bit of a bang and shuts just short of complete.... like 1/2" gap maybe....

Turned em off and kicked it shut, the damn thing deploying annoys me

Any ideas on how to make it run smooth?

OP
OP
P

pat kmae

Reaction score
Can you tell if anything is binding? Maybe just needs some grease or lube on the hinges which have axles.
It would be work, but if you take off the motor, it would be easy to test if the structure of your board is OK. Hopefully it isn't tweaked.

Last edited:

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some people have kept their boards lubed well and still had failures. I have lubed mine extensively and often and my drivers board motor is sounding sad and probably about to fail. It’s just a design flaw. If it fails after my warranty expires (3,000 miles from now) I’ll replace the motor.

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One member posted moisture gets into the motor grease over time and deteriorates it. They rebuilt with marine grade grease. Sounds about right since mine work fine above 40 degrees

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One member posted moisture gets into the motor grease over time and deteriorates it. They rebuilt with marine grade grease. Sounds about right since mine work fine above 40 degrees

Interesting insight...good to know.

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't add anything to the conversation about replacing the motor, but mine sticks occasionally. Sometimes bad. I live on a dirt road and suspect that has a lot to do with it. I use lithium grease and put globs of it on the hinges and use my foot to put the running board up when I close the door. Usually after a few times of doing that the board works fine. I have to do it every few months.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Along the chain lube line, my favorite lubricant for the past three years has been Lucas chain lube. The stuff is awesome. It is much better than any chain lube I've ever use. It is awesome for things like pivot points or bearings, slides etc.

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Navigator with these running boards. Bought some motors off ebay and attempting to replace. The driver side has been removed but it appears as if someone prior to me attempted to replace. It was missing the bolt for the aluminum keyway that fits against the cutaway area of shaft. When I go to attach the motor, the notched portion of shaft is approximately 180 degrees from the side where the key should be fitting. I read what was said earlier in this thread about removing cover and manually turning the shaft. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for this thread...

My left side has been trouble, right side works great. I have to assume its all the sand and salt that the left gets more of.
Anyway, I have been keeping mine clean and lubed with that WD spray lithium. Last week it sounded like it was full of sand, all gritty and grinding. It quit working, I cleaned and greased, worked for a day or two and now stuck in the up position. Makes no noise at all, no movement.

Now that I know more of what I'm dealing with, I'll pull it and do an exploratory.

Great board here...

Jamo

Brian1980

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Limited with about 100,000 miles. Driver side just started to give me issues. Driver side running board deploys fine, seems to come up fine, but hits the top and redeploys and stays out. I've looked for blockage, did not see anything. Took a pressure washer to it to make sure there was no debris. Still has the issue. Any ideas on what could be causing the bounce back?