Running Board Motor - replacing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat kmae

Reaction score
Hi All,

One of my running board motors stopped working well a few weeks back. It just moans and sounds like it is stripped out or something.

I took it to the deal (who has been jacking prices recently) and they told me it would be $2100@ to replace... just the motor! hahaha, these guys have gone crazy with their prices.

Anyway, I took the running board off and pulled the motor in 15 minutes yesterday.

I wouldn't mind spending money on a new motor if there is one available somewhere.

Does anyone know if the replacement motors on amazon for $110 are any good?

Thanks

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought one of eBay for about $80 and it has worked great so far, but I have only had it for 4 months!!

Gary

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pat, there are a few threads on here detailing power board r and r...you’ve already done the hardest part in getting the motor removed. Curious how hard it was? Can you detail your removal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As for those of us who have them still working, what's the recommended PM to keep them working?
Lube the joints with a good lithium grease like spray? My wrench nephew said WD40 makes some kind of HD spray for stuff like that??

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been using motorcycle chain lube....the spray type. The carrier fluid carries the lube into all the spots before evaporation.

I wash the truck, let dry then apply. Bought new 11/16 and still working flawlessly

jeff

boomhowie

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can use the same motor for an normal Expedition as the EL. They have two different part numbers. But I was wondering if I got the motor and bracket together, If the parts for the normal length Expy would work on the EL. The one for the EL is not as available. I hate to pay that much for a motor. All the ones on Amazon and Ebay are not for the EL. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

OP
OP
P

pat kmae

Reaction score
HI all,

I just finished the repair and it was pretty easy to re-install.

I bought this motor off of amazon and it appears to be of equal or better build quality than the fomoco one. The metal is about about the same thickness.
Description of the motor i bought was "GELUOXI Right Power Running Board Motor for Lincoln Navigator Ford Expedition 2007-2014 9L7Z-16A506-A 9L7Z16A506A 747-900 FSM1P6"
Link as of today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07447BDQP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Disclaimer: I'm not any sort of actual mechanic, so take this info as merely what worked for me. It might not work for you.
To Recap:

The symptom:
The motor went bad (started making a whale sound and wouldn't raise lower fully. It might have been a gear problem, because there are two screw gears inside the motor housing. Not sure what stripped or what because I couldn't fully dissasemble the old part and didnt'really care that much.

Uninstall:
Put the running board into the down position if you can somehow. Place a sleeping bag or backpack under the running board towards the back wheel, so it can be supported when the bolts come off. Un-clip the power connection to the motor. Remove the entire running board including its hinges and the motor. There are 4 bolts near each hinge that mount it to the frame of the car. 2 up underneath the edge and 2 down low that can be accessed with the running board in down position. I used a ratchet with metric, forget the mm.

Once off, remove the 2 bolt / studs that connect the motor to the hinges. You need a screw driver for one side and alan wrench for the other. Then, remove the hex-head screw that you see on the hinge, it holds a wedge shaped bolt to the inside of the hinge near the motors axle that is not visible when put together. I just jiggled the running board a bit after taking out the screw and the wedge bolt fell out. Then the axle was free and I was able to pull the motor off off the hinge and detach it.

Installation:
Installation was pretty much the reverse of removal, but it was sort of hard to get that wedge bolt in and start the screw for it. Remember that you want the motor turned so that the running board is in the "extended" down position again. One video I watched suggested removing the motor shield cover and that allows you to manually rotate the motor axle by spinning the motor. It is slow, but worked. Recognize that there is a little washer that must go down into the end of the cap and lie flat. Don't lose it or let it float around inside the motor loose. Once I did all that and then got the wedge bolt on and screw to hold it tight, I put on all the other alan bolts and screws to mount the motor back to the hinge frame of the running board.

Removal honestly takes 15 minutes
Install took about an hour because of that wedge bolt deal, but that really is the only reason.

The motor I bought of amazon is very quiet running and appears to be solid construction.

Good Luck and thanks to the forum.

I

Last edited:

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been using motorcycle chain lube....the spray type. The carrier fluid carries the lube into all the spots before evaporation.

I wash the truck, let dry then apply. Bought new 11/16 and still working flawlessly

jeff

My truck is a ‘15 with 117,000 miles on it and my boards still work. Honestly Jeff, you and I will both find our boards dead sometime in the somewhat near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can use the same motor for an normal Expedition as the EL. They have two different part numbers. But I was wondering if I got the motor and bracket together, If the parts for the normal length Expy would work on the EL. The one for the EL is not as available. I hate to pay that much for a motor. All the ones on Amazon and Ebay are not for the EL. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Amazon returns are usually quite painless