Rushing air sound under normal acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it’s making the woosh noise and then kind of slaps shut and stops making the noise it’s definitely something in your turbo/gasket/wastegate. Mine made this noise until all were replaced and it doesn’t now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mine made it and it doesn't even HAVE a turbo though

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lol. Maybe it wants to be an Ecoboost so it’s copying Ecoboost sounds lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure if this is even close but I had air noises (no ecoboost). I was searching everywhere for that noise but no luck. What solved the noise for me was running the A/C fan on second speed to build cabin pressure. This kept the air leakage going out instead of in and stop inside noise.

After looking closer at rubber gaskets and seals that would allow airflow I notice how gaskets around door were shorter than they could be to completely seal edges. The outside side window gaskets that should be touching glass have about a sixteenth of an inch gap that not only allows air flow but also water to fill doors and damage actuator mechanisms. A combination of these design issues, in my mind, allowed air flow that created noise. The build up of internal pressure caused noise to flow out with the air, maybe. But for whatever reason I have a quieter ride now.

OP
OP
J

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well at least it seems this is not correct - so I’ll make a deal about it while it’s in the shop.

Fingers crossed for free replacement parts!!

Reaction score
Is the defrost blowing air? With my 1999 superduty 7.3 powerstroke this happened when the fourwheel drive system was leaking air. The blower would default to the defrost mode.

OP
OP
J

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the defrost blowing air? With my 1999 superduty 7.3 powerstroke this happened when the fourwheel drive system was leaking air. The blower would default to the defrost mode.

No. I’ve turned off the AC and radio to hear it better.

It’s reoated to the gas pedal for sure. But then also load related. Put it in neutral while rolling down the road and feathered the gas and no sound.

txracer16

Reaction score
From what you are describing it is normal. You hear it more during light to moderate acceleration and lower speeds? The sound is more than likely coming from the intake plumbing due to the bypass valve on the pressure side between turbo and throttle body. Completely normal. One of the ways boost is controlled in ecoboost engines is to bypass boost back into the fresh air side of the intake system. It’s main function is to reduce turbo flutter on deceleration but can also be used to control boost. Boost is controlled by the wastegate, throttle plate, and bypass valve all working together. The use of all three is what gives the ecoboost the smooth power delivery. A lot of times it is actually using the throttle plate and bypass because they are electrical and can be operated faster than the diagphram actuated wastegate. Reason you don’t hear it in neutral is that there is no load on engine, won’t build boost without load.

Of course with out hearing it personally can’t say for sure. Mine and every other one I’ve driven has done this. A lot of people don’t notice it. Hope this might shed some light. EB is an awesome engine.

OP
OP
J

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TXR you literally said almost verbatim what the tech I took a ride with today explained. He also warned me that if I put on a CAI it’ll get louder.

Glad to know it’s normal - it’s just not what I’ve heard from my other turbo engines.

For the rest they did a great job of meeting my requests. Sadly the “rubbing” sound I’m hearing at lower RPMs is likely the beginning of a failing bearing. He said it’s not far enough along to warranty yet - but I’m loaded in the system.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmm. Could it be coming from the speakers? On some models Ford pipes engine sounds through the speaker system to give the passengers a sense of engine power...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought that was only with vehicles that had Subwoofers as part of the stereo!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01