Rust under dash? Could somebody post pics of under their dash for comparison?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
My 2014El looks mostly like that.
That might be rusted a bit more extensively than mine but I say normal.

I had to spin my neck like Linda Blair in the Exorcist to be able to see it.
I think I may have popped my C4 vertebra doing that

Corrosion is a cool science, an offshoot of Materials Science & Chemical Engineering
I wanna be a Corrosion Engineer when I grow up

http://nace.org/about

http://nace.org/resources/general-resources/corrosion-basics

Last edited:

MuddySpokes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last I checked, air carries water in its gas form. It is called humidity.

Photos look like surface rust to me as well.

Toward the source of the rust, if worried about a leak, I'd pull back the carpet (under the floor mat) in a few places and see if there is evidence of water accumulation or mold. If none, then the water is most likely coming from the stuff you breathe.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Perfectly normal. Every single one of my cars gets that. Even my Mercedes SLK350. 69 Camaro that doesn't go out in the rain, 07 Expedition, 17 Expedition, Mini Cooper. Every car that I've ever had has gotten that. The metal under the dash is raw steel. As others have said, the air has plenty of moisture to cause that too happen. The only way that will be lessened is by leaving the vehicle in a temperature controlled environment from day 1. It is not your smell. Mice can easily get into your HVAC system and leave everything from a light smell to an overpowering urine smell. You won't smell it until you turn your a/c on.

OP
OP
B

Beckta10

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the replies!

The mice comment hit home...we park in a garage in what would be considered a suburban type area but we are close to corn fields and a couple weeks ago I removed my skid plates/splash guard coverings and found a dead mouse in one of them. Perhaps the mouse is the culprit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the replies!

The mice comment hit home...we park in a garage in what would be considered a suburban type area but we are close to corn fields and a couple weeks ago I removed my skid plates/splash guard coverings and found a dead mouse in one of them. Perhaps the mouse is the culprit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The little buggers can wreak a lot of havoc. It took forever to get the light smell out of my 07 when one got in after leaving it parked for quite a while. They cost me a $1,000 engine last month in my zero turn mower when one destroyed some wiring and packed nesting material up around the flywheel. It caused it to break the magnet and dislodge the top crank seal enough to leak oil. It was just enough oil to starve the top bearing (which is just the aluminum case) and it seized within 15 to 20 seconds of starting it. I noticed the smoke and smell, shut it down and it was already too late.
The mice can get to anything anywhere unfortunately. Dryer sheets seem to keep them away and smell a lot better than mothballs. Good luck.

Traveler

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Normal rust. Dad was a car dealer in KS for 40 years. There is enough humidity in the air to cause that much rust. I never gave it much thought. Though now that I think about it I dont know why they dont painy those parts.

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a 2019 Expy rental with 10,000 miles on it. Maybe they did fix the rust issue with the redesign or when does it start? 20,000 miles?

I'll check my 17 when I get it back from the repair shop. Then again maybe I don't want to know.

Edit: I zoomed in on the pic. Yep it's already begun on the edge of the bracket in the middle.

IMG_3630.JPG

Last edited:

MuddySpokes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
. . . I dont know why they dont painy those parts.

Easy math:
- paint costs money.

- painting costs money.

- parts handling costs increase presuming there is a goal to keep from putting dings in the paint.

- the typical customer never sees it.

- painting does nothing toward usefulness / function over the expected life of the vehicle.

Add them all up and we get added expense for no benefit.

Traveler

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LoL well yea... I mean besides those reasons.. [emoji16]

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk