Brake line connection into ABS won't seal - 2008 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bschwar2

Reaction score
The brake line connection from the master cylinder into the ABS unit started leaking badly and so I removed the line. I discovered that whoever put the line in the last time only put a single flare on the end of the line. In addition, the person wrapped some type of material around the flare to so that nut would press down harder on the flare when tightening. I cut the end off and had a double flare put on it. When I reinstall the nut and flaring, however, it doesn't tighten enough to seal the line. I am sure that the nut is not cross threaded as it tightens down by hand several turns before needing a wrench to go the rest of the way. I am wondering if the nut on there was not the original but a replacement from another application and therefore doesn't seal like it should.

I have searched auto dealers, auto parts stores, etc trying to find a replacement line or an adapter that would go into the abs so that I can get this fixed. Does anybody have any recommendations.

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had stores give me sae brake fittings when I needed metric on my 2013. They threaded in enough to confuse me for a bit. Could be something that simple.

OP
OP
B

bschwar2

Reaction score
Well, something like that must have happened in the past and the previous owner tried to make it work by wrapping someting around the brakeline at the flare. I ordered a used ABS unit off Ebay and it came with all the connectors screwed it. Sure enough, the nut for the master cylindar line is different than the one that was on my truck. I can see the center hole for the brake line is smaller than on the nut I was trying to make work. Now all I have to do is a bit of work to get the tube out of the nut as it was cut off and the pinch is right against the face of the nut. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. :)

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good luck! Amazing people will do that type of half a repair on something like a brake system. Good to have that fixed

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire