RWD in Snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nytimes770

Reaction score
Can someone advise me on how to prepare for potentially snowy roads on a road trip? I've got a 2018 RWD. Will be two adults and two smallish children. Will having a certain # of lbs of weight (in the form of suitcases, other junk) in the back help? Should I bring along a couple of 50 lb bags of sand? I do not want to purchase winter tires..these trips through snowy areas will not be frequent. does the built-in traction control help much?

rs4-380

Reaction score
where are you going. Are we talking mountain snow or midwest snow?

hellohithere

Reaction score
I just happened to post a similar question with almost the exact same title last week haha!

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have heard really good things about those snow socks. Easy to put on and easy to store. The Autosock is approved by DOT in Colorado.
Denver still hasn't had any snow this year.

OP
OP
N

Nytimes770

Reaction score
where are you going. Are we talking mountain snow or midwest snow?
Driving up from GA through SC and NC and maybe TN into MD. Hopefully there will be no snow at all but willing to prepare in practical way so I don’t get stuck or crash

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just run it. If theres a lot of snow, they'll have the highways cleared in a day, so allow extra time and forget about it. The factory tires are complete garbage In snow tho FYI. I can't even move with mine in 4x4. New tires go on next week.

rs4-380

Reaction score
Just run it. If theres a lot of snow, they'll have the highways cleared in a day, so allow extra time and forget about it. The factory tires are complete garbage In snow tho FYI. I can't even move with mine in 4x4. New tires go on next week.
This.

Nothing you do short of new tires is going to really help (and I agree the stock highway all seasons are about the worst you can possibly have for real snow situations, 4wd doesn't do anything when the tires won't put it to the ground) so just take your time, stay on main highways, and have alternate arrangements (ie hotel) if you get in a situation with significant snow.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Driving up from GA through SC and NC and maybe TN into MD. Hopefully there will be no snow at all but willing to prepare in practical way so I don’t get stuck or crash
Just watch the weather. They plow and sand the roads real quickly after any snow fall.