Seat occasionally “rocking”?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 2005 and 2017 both did this... VERY annoying. Based on what I could find, it seems to be play in the gearing of the power seats. If you put the load on the backside of the gearing it almost eliminates it. Try putting the seat in the location you want it, and very briefly bumping the seat back in the opposite direction. If you are setting the upright/decline angle for example, recline to where you want it, then very briefly "bump" the switch back towards the upright direction of travel. by putting the tension on the other side of the gear in the mechanism, there is far less play in my experience.

I’ll give this a shot

Elvisinflorida

Reaction score
Same in my 2004 EB.
When I got it a year ago with 74K miles on it, the seat setting for ease of entry/exit was set on. So every time the door was opened, the seat moved all the way back automatically, giving more room for entry and exit. Then on startup it would move forward to the memory position. I found it really annoying so I turned that setting off. But then I noticed the play in the forward/back position. I wrote it off as play due to wear on the mechanism from the years the former owner had the seat set for ease of entry/exit.
Anyway, I asked an experienced Ford mechanic about repairing the annoying seat play. He had no idea! So I'm putting up with it.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was set on easy entry and still is but no rocking, I guess for those that rock the only solution is to replace the track........if you can buy them.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Mine was set on easy entry and still is but no rocking, I guess for those that rock the only solution is to replace the track........if you can buy them.

you can only imagine the frustration when I pulled off the lot in my brand new 2017 and felt the same rock as my 200K mile 2005 lol

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Glad it helped!

I'm guessing a worm gear with tighter pitch would fix this issue but apparently the engineers didn't think of that yet...

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad it helped!

I'm guessing a worm gear with tighter pitch would fix this issue but apparently the engineers didn't think of that yet...
There is a lot they didn't think of but there is a lot to think about. What bugs me is they often go years before correcting it.

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are the bolts that fix the seat to the floor nice and tight? I ask this because I had a slight rocking with mine a couple of years ago. My wife had lost her wedding ring down the side of the seat. The only way to get it was to unbolt the seat and lift it up. When I put it back I didn't tighten up the bolts sufficiently. This caused a slight rocking sensation when braking and accelerating. So I went back and re-tightened things and rocking motion hasn't happened since.