Seat occasionally “rocking”?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lately it seems like when I hit the gas pedal maybe 1 in 3 times the seat back moves slightly back on me like something is loose. Seems when I hit the brakes it comes forward a hair and back when I hit the gas. I looked under there but don’t really know what I’m looking at. Any ideas?

210M

Reaction score
Yep, I've got the same problem. I did some research a while back and I think the most likely cause is some failed plastic bushings inside the lugs that ride on the worm gears that move the seat forward and backward. I just live with it, but it is annoying.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I've got the same problem. I did some research a while back and I think the most likely cause is some failed plastic bushings inside the lugs that ride on the worm gears that move the seat forward and backward. I just live with it, but it is annoying.

Oof you are correct there it is annoying. Has it gotten progressively worse on you or stayed about the same?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lately it seems like when I hit the gas pedal maybe 1 in 3 times the seat back moves slightly back on me like something is loose. Seems when I hit the brakes it comes forward a hair and back when I hit the gas. I looked under there but don’t really know what I’m looking at. Any ideas?

My 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new, does this. It is very annoying. I have the Ford premium extended warranty and intend to have the seat mechanism fixed at my next service visit.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My driver seat has a very slight rocking to it under these same circumstances. Is this something serviceable or the entire seat neat replaced? I've installed seat tracks and motors in previous vehicles before so not scared to do it. Finding a seat that isn't worn is probably tough, from a used standpoint anyway for a 2nd gen.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same here. It rocks enough to annoy me but not enough to alarm me to do something about it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

210M

Reaction score
Oof you are correct there it is annoying. Has it gotten progressively worse on you or stayed about the same?
I've only owned my 2016 for about 7 months. Didn't notice it on my test drive. But once I adjusted the seat a few times, it became apparent. It hasn't gotten worse, but I thought that I would eventually get used to it... That hasn't happened yet.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If these seats constantly rock you could take it out and have someone hold it while you try to get some movement out of it.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
my 2005 and 2017 both did this... VERY annoying. Based on what I could find, it seems to be play in the gearing of the power seats. If you put the load on the backside of the gearing it almost eliminates it. Try putting the seat in the location you want it, and very briefly bumping the seat back in the opposite direction. If you are setting the upright/decline angle for example, recline to where you want it, then very briefly "bump" the switch back towards the upright direction of travel. by putting the tension on the other side of the gear in the mechanism, there is far less play in my experience.