Second row bench seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sprayfoam620

Reaction score
Hello all, first time poster here, been lurking for a long time. Anyway the wife and I are planning on purchasing a new Expedition Max in the near future as we have out grown our Explorer. We were finally able to test drive a base limited about a week ago. Since it was not a Max the dealer went ahead and ordered what we are looking for (Limited Max 4x4 302a) with no obligation from us. The question I have for those that have the bench seat in the second is: can you removed the center seat? If so how easy? I would really like the captain chairs but with 4 young kids it might work out better with the bench and then be able to remove the center seat when we wanted to.. enough rambling. Thanks!! Wes

Xmantec

Reaction score
Hello Sprayfoam620, I don't know for sure if you can remove the center 2nd row seat, the disadvantage supposing you could is that if your Expedition originally has captain chairs you have armrests, and in a bench seat you wouldn't. Maybe you could try and fold the center seat instead of removing it. By the way I'm also new here.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would think it would be difficult due to the sliding mechanism. Its a bit more complex than the prior generations middle sliding seat. However, i have tbe bench seat, i keep the middle section folded, it feels just as roomy and the second row passengers have a place to put their arms.

Spoiledhappywife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all, first time poster here, been lurking for a long time. Anyway the wife and I are planning on purchasing a new Expedition Max in the near future as we have out grown our Explorer. We were finally able to test drive a base limited about a week ago. Since it was not a Max the dealer went ahead and ordered what we are looking for (Limited Max 4x4 302a) with no obligation from us. The question I have for those that have the bench seat in the second is: can you removed the center seat? If so how easy? I would really like the captain chairs but with 4 young kids it might work out better with the bench and then be able to remove the center seat when we wanted to.. enough rambling. Thanks!! Wes

May I ask ages of kids? Are they in car seats? My sister has an Expedition EL too. Her kids are 7, 5 and twins are almost 4. We both have captain chairs, which she finds beneficial as it’s easier to get to the kids in the 3rd row. All of her kids are in car seats too.

With older kids it is so convenient getting in and out, especially on long road trips.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May I ask ages of kids? Are they in car seats? My sister has an Expedition EL too. Her kids are 7, 5 and twins are almost 4. We both have captain chairs, which she finds beneficial as it’s easier to get to the kids in the 3rd row. All of her kids are in car seats too.

With older kids it is so convenient getting in and out, especially on long road trips.

I completely agree. With 3+ kids, captains seats are definitely the way to go for comfort. 4 kids, ABSOLUTELY go with the captains. If they're younger kids, they will be able to get in without much adult aid (depending on age), the kids will be way more comfortable, less fighting, more personal space,... Also, on the off chance you need to put an adult in the 3rd row, with a second row bench, it so very claustrophobic in the third row because the 2nd row bench comes up from the floor and covers 70% of the vertical space in front of you. However with captains, the whole space feels open, airy, comfortable, like a living room.

OP
OP
S

sprayfoam620

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply’s! Ages af the kids are 11, 8, 4, and 5 months. I completely agree on adults getting in the back with a bench and told the wife today I wasn’t interested in that! I also think that even with the tilt slid mechanism, my boys in the back will just bail over the seat if its a bench. The dealer ordered one with the captains and with the info here I think we will leave it like it is. Also both sets of grandparents live within 5 min of us, so normally they are not riding with us.

MiddKid

Reaction score
I completely agree. With 3+ kids, captains seats are definitely the way to go for comfort.

I'll provide the voice of dissent. In both our cars we had the option for captains seats and we went with the bench and couldn't imagine having captains because:
  • We have a dog that's often in the back along with any amount of gear. No nice to be able to keep the 3rd row down until needed rather than always having one up and dealing with shifting around the gear/dog
  • Our daughters (12, 10, 7) love interacting with each other in the car. They can't stand when they are the one who has to sit in the 3rd row by themselves ("What did you say? I can't hear you back here!")
  • We find ourselves with 7-8 passengers all the time between friends and grandparents...never find ourselves saying "wish we had the extra seat for this trip."
My girls find the bench in the Expy plenty spacious and don't lack for comfort. Heck, in my mid-size SUV they always opt to be in the second row together rather than one heading into the third. We've rented (or had loaners) with captains chairs before and they are always happy to get back to their bench.

This is our experience. Just another opinion...obviously do what's best for your family.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll provide the voice of dissent. In both our cars we had the option for captains seats and we went with the bench and couldn't imagine having captains because:
  • We have a dog that's often in the back along with any amount of gear. No nice to be able to keep the 3rd row down until needed rather than always having one up and dealing with shifting around the gear/dog
  • Our daughters (12, 10, 7) love interacting with each other in the car. They can't stand when they are the one who has to sit in the 3rd row by themselves ("What did you say? I can't hear you back here!")
  • We find ourselves with 7-8 passengers all the time between friends and grandparents...never find ourselves saying "wish we had the extra seat for this trip."
My girls find the bench in the Expy plenty spacious and don't lack for comfort. Heck, in my mid-size SUV they always opt to be in the second row together rather than one heading into the third. We've rented (or had loaners) with captains chairs before and they are always happy to get back to their bench.

This is our experience. Just another opinion...obviously do what's best for your family.

Very interesting that you say this, with 3 girls. The only friend I have who also likes having a 2nd row bench (in his Suburban) also has three girls. I think however, once you throw a boy in there, or multiple boys, things get rowdy and that peaceful dynamic changes, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk