Selectable Drive Modes vs. Load Leveling Suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cvx16

Reaction score
Looking for some help here with a multi-part question. Hopefully this is clear.

I have a 2016 Expedition Limited, with about 12k miles on it. Ever since we bought it, we've been slightly annoyed by how the steering feels. It has an oddly strong intensity to pull back to center. One of those things that is subtle enough that you just deal with it. I've finally gotten to the point where I want to know why it drives like it does. (Yes, I should have looked into this when it was "new" or even better, before I bought it.)

I've learned a couple of things about the vehicle that are probably not new to many here:

- It has electric power steering... was news to me. I guess it's just one step closer to autonomous driving,

- The electronic steering has a Pull/Drift Compensation "feature" that is supposed to help with highway driving. I'm not positive, but this may be part of the steering feel I don't like.

- There are supposed to be driver selectable drive modes: Comfort, Normal, Sport

- My vehicle has the Load Leveling Suspension, which I'm told conflicts with the driver selectable drive modes and the vehicle cannot have both.

So a few questions here:

1) Anyone know it's a true statement that the selectable drive modes cannot be enabled on a vehicle with load leveling suspension?

2) Anyone know if the Pull/Drift Compensation can be disabled?

3) Does the steering centering feel sound familiar to anyone? I'm new to the forum and did a quick search, but didn't find any similar discussions.

Thanks for the help and feedback!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4, purchased new, now with 37,*** miles on it. This is my first Ford and I’ve been driving for 48 years. It does not have the load leveling suspension.

I like the steering feel on the Expedtion. It feels “just right” to me. I drive the vehicle on suburban, state highway, expressway and rural roads.

I’m not trying to aggravate you - but perhaps there is something wrong with the steering. Have you talked to your dealer service department?

It was my understanding that the electric steering feature improves fuel mileage (vs. a hydralic engine mounted system) and also does not reduce engine power due to the engine mounted hydraulic pump.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1) True. If you have load leveling suspension no selectable modes. Those are only available with the CCD suspension that comes on King Ranches
2) No it cannot
3) Does not sound familiar as mine steers fine. Ive read as you pick up speed the steering is supposed to get a little stiffer but Ive never noticed anything

OP
OP
C

cvx16

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have had it in to my local dealership service dept multiple times and no luck with fixing it. This last time, even had a full alignment/balancing/etc done, just to see if that made a difference. No change.

The issue is somewhat subtle, but it's most noticeable when driving on the highway where slight bends in the road require minor steering, but when doing this, it seems like the vehicle constantly is trying to correct to go straight. Makes for a tiring drive when going long distances. I have no idea if the drive mode selection would even change this, but I'd like to try.

I think my next step is to test drive other Expeditions at the dealership to see if they feel any different.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Driver Selectable Modes" are for the CCD suspension only. This was an option on 2015-16 Platinum and 2015-17 Limited. It was standard on 2017 Platinum.

Rear Load Leveling suspension was also an option. The reason these cannot be on the truck at the same time is both options use special shocks. The CCD has electronically controlled dampening valves in each shock. These are controlled by the PCM via a number of special sensors that come as part of the package. Rear load leveling consists of special hydraulic rear shocks only that have special internal valving to level the rear under load.

I can tell you from having driven several trucks with and without CCD that this option makes for an incredibly smooth ride! I would get it if I could afford it.

You can identify trucks with CCD suspension by the special 22-inch wheels. Only trucks that have CCD come with these wheels from the factory. Keep in mind, though, I have seen quite a few 2017 Platinums recently that do not have these wheels even though CCD is supposed to be standard on Platinum models for that year. Instead, these trucks come with factory 2015 18-inch wheels. That is because they were ordered with rear load-leveling suspension.

page15.FordExpeditEL15.jpg