Service engine soon light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A 60 year old man running 185/115 pressure said gee I never felt better! Right untill he collapsed! Why do I bother.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Tonyray

Tonyray

Reaction score
My pressure was running low right at 20PSI I don't know what the pressure is now because I needed to take the pressure gauge back to Autozone to be able to buy the new pump. They make you buy the gauge set for $150.00 and give you your money back when you return it. I'm going to work on it today I'll let you know what happens. The truck is running great and the service engine light has not come on.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I must be old, it's Bain that has the high pressure. My eyes keep playing tricks on me. I don't know why I see what I see. Anyway glad your up and running right.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fuel pressure regulator is on the fuel rail on the left side of the engine. I don't need to replace it the truck runs great now a lot more power then before. But I will need to drop the tank to get to the sending unit. Dropping the tank won't be as bad because I know what to do now.
My understanding is that the part on the fuel rail is a dampener, not a regulator. The dampener absorbs some of the abrupt pressure changes, but wouldn't actually limit a continual high pressure situation. Please tell me I'm wrong because that makes the job much easier than dropping the fuel tank!

Also, congrats on fixing your issue!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuel pressure regulator is part of the pump unfortunately. With the high pressure it sounds like a failing regulator, but be sure. You might want to pick the brain of your local shop that knows the vehicle. But it sure sounds like it. Funny thing is when you look on Rock Auto, some show the attached regulator, some don't. I'd go by dealer and get an exploded picture of the pump and adjacent parts just to be sure.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Moose, i'll have to check out the diagram

OP
OP
Tonyray

Tonyray

Reaction score
Got the new pump installed everything works ok. The truck has a lot more power then before running great and no service light. Thanks for all the help everyone.

OP
OP
Tonyray

Tonyray

Reaction score
Well it's been over a week and still no light so I'm guessing it was the pump that needed to be replaced.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65