shock, strut, which one? I DONT KNOW!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

ok, I am sure there are a few of you who are wondering who the hell can I be this dumb, but I figure what better place to come to to ask some experts!!

When I go over a speedbump...something makes a rubbing sound...sounds terrible, again all is origial on this thing after 60k miles...what do i need to get replaces, I know it could be a number of things, but I do know it is something in the suspension....

I have also heard Eibach or someone like that makes springs to lower...I do have a 2wd, and do not use it for pulling or going over thigns...I was thinking maybe a little 1 inch drop could look a little sporty...does anyone know how much this is gonna set me back, and have any suggestions??

Thanks guys!!:nopity:

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by ExpiInNC
When I go over a speedbump...something makes a rubbing sound...sounds terrible, again all is origial on this thing after 60k miles...what do i need to get replaces, I know it could be a number of things, but I do know it is something in the suspension....

-Is it the front of rear that makes the rubbing sound?
-Are the wheels turned when it makes this sound or does it do it no matter what position the steering wheel is in?
- How big are the bumps?

:)

OP
OP
G

front wheels only, straight or turning, mainly like speedbumps, pulling out of driveways, just not when i am moving along....

OP
OP
G

I had the same problem on my explorer. The radius arm bushings were worn down and need to be replaced. You can replace them with the OEM rubber ones or after market poly bushings.

OP
OP
G

Shouldnt be very bad if its just the bushings. If it were me i would go to the polyeurethane ones. A little bit more expensive but worth it. They will probaly last longer.

OP
OP
G

My 1999 EB had the same problem exactly a year ago. More like a groaning noise when going over humps or driving over slight depressions in the road. Anyway, after several complaints the mechanic finally found a broken rear upper control arm on the right rear wheel. I can't remember the exact cost to repair but I think it was less than $200 (repaired at a Ford dealership).

I'm now hearing lots of "road noise" and the suspension sounds so loose when going over even slightly rough roads. This past Saturday another dealership said I need rear sway bar bushings. Also when driving between 30-35mph for the last few weeks, the car makes a kind of "blub blub blub blub blub..." noise on smooth pavement. Do you think that's related to the rear sway bar or my fairly new tires?

OP
OP
G

Just got my Expo EB last week and have noticed the same kind of noise every once in a while, driveing straight down the road, about 40 mph, sounds like I am driving over some rumble strips with the right rear tire. Brand new tires on it when I picked it up. No clue what it is at the moment.
2001Smurph

OP
OP
G

Turned out to be the transmission needed a flush and drain. Noise is gone now. :cool:

OP
OP
G

That's good news, I'm sure it was an inexpensive fix. Turns out my problem is bad shocks and bad front tires (one or more flat spots). Rides so much better with the new shocks. Getting new tires tomorrow :)