Shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bilman72

Reaction score
Well I am sure someone has asked this before, but I am wanting some updated info if possible. I have a 2001, no air, 4wd EddieB Edition. Has anyone found a good Shock replacement for front and rear that still gives you a good ride but also something for minor offroad. I do pull a trailer some with weight in the rear as well. Any advise would be appreciated, Thanks.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve always been a fan of Rancho. I tried to get a set of Bilstiens to work in the back, but because I’m lifted I couldn’t find a shock that would work.

lvcjt702

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve always been a fan of Rancho. I tried to get a set of Bilstiens to work in the back, but because I’m lifted I couldn’t find a shock that would work.
Did you replace your fronts with a longer shock or OEM length?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ran the OEM length for awhile but then did go with a longer front shock. The rear OEM length got destroyed within days of being lifted.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm running the Bilstein 4600 series on my 3rd gen and am satisfied with them. The ride is very similar to stock imho, but these have held up on all the pothole-ridden and unpaved state/national park roads I drive on several days per week (the same roads that quickly killed my OEM shocks - twice).

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 4600's didn't work on my 2000 Eddie Bauer. Ride was real rough, like old worn shocks. Do like Tom said go with adjustable 9000 ranchos for front, 5000 for rear. The front is fully adjustable. They don't for some reason make the rears, dumb! For some reason the first editions are real choppy ride compared to later independent suspensions. As I stated earlier, I tried Bilsteins 4600, and Motorcraft, not Ford. I ended up with OEM Ford, but I think you'll have a tough time finding all 4. The Ford ones are the smoother ride.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am running the Bilstien 4600's on my 02 EB (no air/no lift) and I love them. Not only does the truck ride better but it drives and corners better. I am in the country and have many winding roads with potholes and dirt roads. I do not off road though.
I run those with BF Goodrich long trail T/A's and have not had any problems with snow/frozen, rain/water covered roads. couple trips to Florida and back and Indiana and back let me know this setup is great at top interstate speeds on long trips. Also have had no problems with towing up to 4500lbs.

OP
OP
Bilman72

Bilman72

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info guys. I think I will ponder on this for a while.