Should I Be Cheap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peter Brown

Reaction score
...and buy a rebuilt AC compressor at a 50% discount?
Or pay the 200 for a new one?
Any input is greatly appreciated.
All The Best,
Peter

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Isn't the install cost of either going to be the same? What's that cost, or are you doing it yourself?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...and buy a rebuilt AC compressor at a 50% discount?
Or pay the 200 for a new one?
Any input is greatly appreciated.
All The Best,
Peter

That is one job you don't want to revisit or skimp on parts. A factory new Motorcraft compressor from Rock Auto is about $300. I would spend it.
If you are doing the job yourself remember to swap in the mount hole guide sleeves to the new compressor. Most don't come with them and you need them to ensure the compressor is mounted square with the block so the belt lines up squarely.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...6,heat+&+air+conditioning,a/c+compressor,6628

5W1Z19V703AA-ANG__ra_p.jpg

TomB985

Reaction score
That is one job you don't want to revisit or skimp on parts. A factory new Motorcraft compressor from Rock Auto is about $300. I would spend it.
If you are doing the job yourself remember to swap in the mount hole guide sleeves to the new compressor. Most don't come with them and you need them to ensure the compressor is mounted square with the block so the belt lines up squarely.

As usual, this is great advice from Hamfisted. This is one of the few components that causes lots of damage to other things when it fails, which makes it among the last things I would go cheap on. You would probably be fine with a rebuilt unit, but I would have a lot more faith in a brand-new one.

I went through this last summer and didn't spring for the OEM Motorcraft unit. I got a brand-new Four Seasons compressor for $100 less and have had no issues so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AEUZXO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plati

Reaction score
IMHO .. I usually buy the "good" parts, but there are cases where I buy Harbor Freight (for example). Depends on your personal situation. It's a quite aged Expy - how long do you want it to last? Do you plan to sell it soon? How much risk do you like to take? You're not in Florida, so you don't need a/c all year. Are you tight for cash so saving a few bucks is important? Stuff like that. My own 2003 I'm just trying to keep on the road for the next <6 months?> at a time and I put as little ca$h into it as I can get away with. I have no personal knowledge about a/c parts so this is just a generic answer. If I'm going to go to all the time and expense of refurbing a complex system like a/c ... I wouldn't want to be penny wise and pound foolish. If that applies here.

Reminds me of that tire sidewall gash from last week.
Of course that was safety so I ALWAYS err on the side of safety with that kind of question.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I paid $190/w a 1 yr warranty. A bad compressor can let debris into the system. Make sure they change the part with the filter.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All my older vehicles get OEM parts where still available. Nothing beats the quality.

CountrySplatt

Reaction score
I have only purchased a rebuilt A/C once...and it lasted about a month before it started putting shavings in the lines and caused a catastrophic failure. It was in an old Toyota MR2, which doesn't fully apply here...but I learned my lesson. I bit the bullet and paid the extra to get OEM on my Expy about 4yrs ago, and it is still running strong.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tough call. So many brands are so much worse than they used to be.

I don't just trust Motorcraft because it says motorcraft on it either.

I actually prefer a going to junkyard and pulling an original one myself over a new or re-man one.
This is also even cheaper and I have never had a bad on this way.

You get to inspect what it is on and see if it is original or replacement cheapie and see if inspect other things about the ac system in the car.

I spin then by hand and feel the suction and output from ports and can tell a good strong one.

Fairly quick and easy to replace a compressor.
Make sure you add some oil to it (PAG 46 IIRC) and pump it down well.

I always spin it over by hand or put a 1/4 inch ratchet on the front bolt and turn it 20-30 times to pump oil and allow all air to move so vacuum pump pumps it down to fullest potential.

Then charge up.

Ive done the whole job on some cars in about and hour. Used to get compressors for 35.00. Now at LKQ they aren't much higher than that now.

Worth the risk in my opinion and I have never been burned. I have had lousy 4 seasons and everco ones though.

Also, replace the orifice tube when the system is open.