Should I Be Cheap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you buy new, GDP is a good manufacturer. Don't know where they are made but has been good on my '86 Ford Diesel A/C. I quit using 4 Seizins & Evercrap products long ago.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you buy new, GDP is a good manufacturer. Don't know where they are made but has been good on my '86 Ford Diesel A/C. I quit using 4 Seizins & Evercrap products long ago.

I have also heard good things about GDP. The last I heard everco Four Seasons and Murray we're all the same company. And they were pretty much the conglomerate of low-quality crap.
It's been a number of years ago but I even heard someone who work at Napa say that even Napa air was being remanned buy them.
Now there seems to be a huge amount new ones on eBay and I'm sure Amazon to but the price is really aren't that great.
Percentage wise it's not that much more to buy one from a local Parts House that has a warranty that's you can warranty right there if you have any problems. But as I said oh, I have had the best of luck by just pulling a nice-looking one that had good pumping action when I spend the front of it off of a car at the junkyard.
I don't think you can get as good of a AC unit has the one that came on your car from the factory. Even if you buy one from Motorcraft or whatever, one made today will probably not be as good as one made in 2008 or 10.

Matticus

Reaction score
I had this same dilemma on an old Subaru. $300 for new vs ~$150 for one from a salvage yard. The other thing you have to keep in mind is, if you are doing this yourself, you are also risking losing $50-$100 on freon (don't know how much your system takes) and the crippling guilt of it getting into the atmosphere if you have to replace the compressor again

Ice Man 62

Reaction score
I have had good luck at pull your own part salvage yards. found wrecks with new ac compressors and only cost me $30.00. Did it my self, but was a hvac service tech for37 years. wont hurt to try.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this same dilemma on an old Subaru. $300 for new vs ~$150 for one from a salvage yard. The other thing you have to keep in mind is, if you are doing this yourself, you are also risking losing $50-$100 on freon (don't know how much your system takes) and the crippling guilt of it getting into the atmosphere if you have to replace the compressor again
Man, those prices are awful! The most I've ever seen the salvage yard sell a compressor for is $75 and that was before the Pick Your Part places came in and those now are under 40.
You can't buy freon at the auto parts store says they jacked the prices way up. I've seen it for 14.99 a can for just a 12 oz can. R134a is cheap if you get it at places like Big Lots or Rural King or you should even be able to order it online. I get it consistently for 3.99 per can and the most to ever pay is 4.99 for can so there's no way I would have over 20 bucks in a full charge of R134a.

So in all the ones I've done it's kind of a no-brainer to go with the used part because the risk is very minimal and the savings is huge.

Matticus

Reaction score
So in all the ones I've done it's kind of a no-brainer to go with the used part because the risk is very minimal and the savings is huge.
Yeah, I couldn't believe the cost of the compressor for that thing. I think an actual Subaru compressor was even more at the time...like something to the tune of $400+ vs the ~$300 for whatever aftermarket/rebuilt items I was looking at. Recently, I've seen some pretty good deals on freon online, but never $4.99 for a 12 oz can. The last package of 12oz cans I got I think I was somewhere around $7.99 because it was an overstock/clearance situation on amazon. $4.99 is a great deal

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rural King has it for most of the year for 3.99 per can but occasionally it will be 4.99. Big Lots /Odd Lots usually has it cheap also. Even Walmart was down to 4.88 a can the last time I checked and Meijer was about the same. You should have a Walmart or Meijer in your area so check those. The cans that are larger with stop leak or whatever proprietary extra cold gimmick they claim with the hoses or gauges built on are an absolute rip-off. Buy you an $8 charging hose or side can tap that you can use for years for hundreds and hundreds of cans installation.
I have also bought several of the 30 pound jugs but I just find it more convenient to buy the cans at 3.99 a piece even though it's a little cheaper to buy it in The Jug. I do a lot of work on customers cars and it's just simpler to charge them x amount per can and they see how many cans I'm putting in so there's no questions.
Yes, I do a lot of work with people right there. When they stop by for a quick AC top off its use it only one or two cans and there in and out within 30 minutes

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would buy a new one. The new one comes with a new clutch and that is just as important as the compressor. You can do it yourself with no problem.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Years back my A/C was misdiagnosed so I had the system replaced. Not realizing at the time how particular our vehicles are in some regards to OEM parts (I had owned GM vehicles before and you could pretty much put any aftermarket part and no problems so that was my experience) Bottom line the mechanic ended up replacing a couple more fried compressors until I said enough and bought the OEM part and no more issue.

Your call but I would recommend the Ford OEM compressor. Note not sure your issue but My lower A/C hose had a pinhole leak at the block where 2 hoses connect that no one identifies until many return trips and extra $$ spent so you may want to inspect that as well.