Show your Lifted 3rd Gens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
Ah the old Carolina Squat. I’m sure other motorists love being blinded by your unadjusted headlights @dickdaigle

Dick Daigle

Reaction score
Actually, it hasn't been too bad. Some Californian in a Prius lost his shit, but other than that no real hassle... Just want the rear to complete it. It sure rides nice on the forest service roads.

Cheesyb50

Reaction score
I am new here and new to the expedition world. I have a 2016 EL XLT 4x4 with stock 18's standard suspension. I am trying to get more ground clearance as we are headed out to the Outer Banks of NC in a couple if months. I've read a lot of post and find myself more confused then ever on what to do and what parts I need. Are there any simple do it myself things I can do to raise the ground clearance. I.e. Bigger rims and tires(if so what sizes is best without rubbing) leveling kit, lift kit (without any modifications needed). Just need a some info because I am looking at the same things over and over and I am not surr which direction to go

Dick Daigle

Reaction score
The biggest you can fit is 33" on a stock Expy. At least that's what I had on my 2017 Limited, before I got the icon suspension. Other than the 2/3" spacers, the only other option is the Icon for bolt on. But it's expensive as F*ck.

Dick Daigle

Reaction score
Even with the Icon lift and UCA, you still will want to stick with 33" max as there is rubbing inside the wheel well and geometry issues with brake lines and fun stuff like that.

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
@Cheesyb50 here’s a pic of my old 2016 platinum EL 4x4 with readylift 3/2 and 35/11.50/20 on stock 20s. Cheapest and least labor intensive way to get about an extra 5” of clearance. ~3” for lift and about 1.5” for bigger tires depending on psi you run. I did this for $1500 (tires, mount, balance, and I installed lift spacers myself in 4 hrs). Handled great, rode was a tad stiff just because of the tires and only lost 2mpg. I was also tuned. Very easy and affordable upgrade and sounds like exactly what you need for OBX!!
Bottom is lift and 35s. I also ran bora whee spacers at 1.25” to bring the tires just outside of the wheel well bc without them they sat too far into the wheel well for my liking
8F6633A4-84E4-4A33-86F2-2783FF0EC0AC.jpeg

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
@maxxplatinum9137 , any drive train issues with 35s, Did you have to re gear? And how the hell did you fit 35s in there. My 33s are already rubbing on tight turns.

Drove it for 50k miles before I traded it in for my 2020 f150. Zero drivetrain issues, even running E30. It came with 3.73s and I was able to adjust my speedo with tuner. I opted to stick with stock wheels and ran 35/11.50/20 ridge grapplers with a 1.25” bora whee spacer. Cut out some of the wheel well liner, a small portion of front bumper in the wheel well, and adjusted my power running boards backwards 1/2. Never rubbed again

weston707

Reaction score
The independent suspension in the rear going through the frame is so hard to work around for a lift so I’m doing front and rear straight axles off a 93 f350, Dana 60 10:25 front and sterling 10:25 rear. Going to be awesome.
During my 7.3 l Godzilla swap we found the front transfer case is stopping the Godzilla oil pan from sitting properly, an after market oil pan that would fit needs a new engine face plate and it total would cost me $8,800 and wouldn’t work with my new OBR harness and ECU or any of the Ford pumps...so that’s a non starter.
Has anyone ever done straight axle swaps on a 2011 el xlt? If so, any thing I should be worried about?