Sitting level?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KyOatey

Reaction score
I just had some suspension work done and the mechanic "leveled" the front. Right now the frame/body is sitting level, but the wheel-to-fender gap is larger in the front than the rear. Previously I had the wheel gaps the set equal. I'm not used to the way it looks now.

Which is the proper stance for the 1st gen expys?
Should the wheel-to-fender gaps be the same front and back,
or should the frame be level with a larger gap up front?
Or is it just personal preference?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
at least on my 2nd gen...the rear has more gap so it will look level when you put a load in the back or tow...dont know about 1st gens

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fenders on the gen 1 are stagered in height. The come stagered like taht so that the rake thats built in equals a matching gap. With the rear fender is lower and the rake it hides the rake somewhat visually. This is mine after my 3x3 drop. Mine is a 99 2wd 4.6 EB

You can see the fenders are a full inch different but the running board is opposite.

vion-albums-my+99+expo-picture172153-expo-leveling.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KyOatey

Reaction score
Looking around, I see them both ways - level with a larger gap up front, and raked - higher in the rear with close to equal gaps.

I've decided I like the level look well enough, and if at some time I feel like I have enough extra cash to throw at it I'll bring the back up an inch or two. For now I've just adjusted the headlights.

mazdaparts

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most of the 1st gens in my area have a more tire clearance in the front, including mine until about a month ago. I lowered the front using the torsion bars until I liked the stance. I'm like a lowered front rake in a vehicle and the fender wells to be filled with tire.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my 98 is all stock and seems to sit very level. just a tad higher in the back then others i have seen. my friend has a 98 that is sagging in the rear pretty bad.

2012-10-14_15-01-54_352.jpg