Smoke Smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RGarone421

Reaction score
Hello all!

Purchased a 2019 XLT for my wife, as the truck is LOADED with low-miles (got it with 22k) the truck WREAKS of smoke. The dealer fogged it, which worked for roughly 48 hours. Then I demanded the dealer pay for a detail, which they did and that lasted for maybe 24hrs. After none of that worked, I took matters into my own hands and purchased an o2 generator. I have done two treatments on the truck and it helped, but we're still getting the smoke smell. Does anyone have any advise with this? Thanks in advance.

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replace cabin air filter. Maybe try **** It worked on a musty smelling travel trailer. IT WONT LET ME POST THE PRODUCT NAME THE GUY IS ALWAYS ON TV FOR DOG ODERS !!!!!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all!

Purchased a 2019 XLT for my wife, as the truck is LOADED with low-miles (got it with 22k) the truck WREAKS of smoke. The dealer fogged it, which worked for roughly 48 hours. Then I demanded the dealer pay for a detail, which they did and that lasted for maybe 24hrs. After none of that worked, I took matters into my own hands and purchased an o2 generator. I have done two treatments on the truck and it helped, but we're still getting the smoke smell. Does anyone have any advise with this? Thanks in advance.

I would use a home carpet cleaner with an upholstery attachment and clean all the carpets - then let it sit outside with the doors and hatch open, to ensure it dries well. Move / flip seats to ensure you get under them.

It may take two cleanings.

OP
OP
R

RGarone421

Reaction score
Replace cabin air filter. Maybe try **** It worked on a musty smelling travel trailer. IT WONT LET ME POST THE PRODUCT NAME THE GUY IS ALWAYS ON TV FOR DOG ODERS !!!!!
On the first service, I had them replace cabin air-filter and then completed the o2 treatment. Like I said, it helped a bit, but it's still lingering.

OP
OP
R

RGarone421

Reaction score
I would use a home carpet cleaner with an upholstery attachment and clean all the carpets - then let it sit outside with the doors and hatch open, to ensure it dries well. Move / flip seats to ensure you get under them.

It may take two cleanings.
The the inter. of the truck detailed, as they said they had did a full shampoo treatment including the headliner, helped and the smell was gone for a short period of time.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The the inter. of the truck detailed, as they said they had did a full shampoo treatment including the headliner, helped and the smell was gone for a short period of time.

They may have used the spray-on shampoo, then let it dry and vacuumed it.

I do not smoke - but over the years, I have cleaned many of my cars (and those of my friends and relatives) with the hot-water carpet extraction machines, using an upholstery attachment. I used name-brand cleaning solution - often with the pet-odor additive, which works well on many smells. I own one machine now, and over the years - have bought several (yea, I’ve been around for a while....).

Smoke can get in everything that is porous - seat covers, the foam seat cushions, etc.

Try cleaning the carpet and parking it in the sunshine with all the doors and hatch open.

OP
OP
R

RGarone421

Reaction score
They may have used the spray-on shampoo, then let it dry and vacuumed it.

I do not smoke - but over the years, I have cleaned many of my cars (and those of my friends and relatives) with the hot-water carpet extraction machines, using an upholstery attachment. I used name-brand cleaning solution - often with the pet-odor additive, which works well on many smells. I own one machine now, and over the years - have bought several (yea, I’ve been around for a while....).

Smoke can get in everything that is porous - seat covers, the foam seat cushions, etc.

Try cleaning the carpet and parking it in the sunshine with all the doors and hatch open.
Thanks for the help - Maybe will try this, this weekend. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bet the smell is returning from all the surfaces that haven't been cleaned... under seats, seat cushions (someone else said this), HVAC ducting and fans, under the dash, etc. It's gonna take some time for all of that to out-gas.

I had a sunroof leak during a torrential downpour recently without my knowledge. It sat for 2 days over the weekend in the hot Florida sun and stunk when I got in Monday. I've been using a Damprid bucket that also has Febreeze pellets included. It works good to pull out the moisture and smell after a couple weeks.

tacoduck

Reaction score
Run the ozone generator with the car running and the ac on recirculating. This allows the ozone to be sucked into the hvac system. Cig smoke os really hard to get rid of.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Getting cigarette smell out is worse than the smell of body decomposition to get rid of. As others have said it gets into everything. I like tacoducks idea.