Smokin' hot rear tire!???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Today I was driving to Walgreens & noticed a burning smell when I parked.

When I pulled back into my driveway I saw that the passenger rear caliper was smoking pretty bad. The tire was EXTREMELY hot.

I've noticed lately that when I take my foot off the gas the truck slows down like it's braking on it's own.

Could the caliper be seizing or the brakes bad?

Any input on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it is likely that your caliper has seized. in that event the course of action is to replace both rear calipers and pads, and inspect your rotors. if they are bad, replace them, if they are so-so see if they can be turned. since you will have the fluid system open anyway it might also be a good idea to drain the old brake fluid and flush the system with new.

OP
OP
Explor2Exped

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it is likely that your caliper has seized. in that event the course of action is to replace both rear calipers and pads, and inspect your rotors. if they are bad, replace them, if they are so-so see if they can be turned. since you will have the fluid system open anyway it might also be a good idea to drain the old brake fluid and flush the system with new.

I have a feeling this is going to be an expensive job... :nono:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i did on the 4th of july. driving around and something is smelling. i just put the new battery in too. didnt know what it was. i go to pull over and i put into park and go to press the brake in and my foot misses. so i pull it and tell my gf no more smell. haha
but it should cost you too much. i replaced my front ones and the only problem i ran into was orielys gave me the wrong pads. they were like 1 mm to big so they screwed up my calipers. so i had to go to another oreliys and those. but they shouldnt be too much.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
E2E, the new caliper shouldn't be to bad. Even if you have to get a new rotor, as long as you do the work yourself, it won't hurt you that bad. I did a completely brake job on a friends Jeep Grand Cherokee and my Jag putting on new rotors and pads on all 4 wheels for around $200. Add in a caliper, you can be out the door for under $300. If you only do the one wheel, then you are looking at around $200 or less depending on what style of rotor you get.

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
as a grown man, you can make your own decisions, but I urge against changing one side and not the other when it comes to anything in the Brake system. the reason is that the vehicle will try to make the parts wear evenly, so the new stuff you just put on, will wear out WAY quicker because it's trying to match the old worn side.

I also urge people to change lights in pairs, headlights, brake lights, wipers, things like that. if you replace one and not the other, the one you did not replace tends to burn out within a few weeks.

warddaman

Reaction score
My front driver caliper was seezing on me around July 4th weekend and when I came to a stop it was smoking like crazy (thought the engine was on fire) . I continued to drive on it and ended up blowing a brake line b/c the fluid was so hot. When I took to the mechanic he only replaced the bad capiler but we did put on new pads all around.

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thermo was talkin bout one caliper not pads on one side, plus i replace single bulbs all the time, never had a problem yet