Snow Beast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The slippery mode does a great job with the pedal control
Had the opportunity to use Snow/Gravel/Mud mode recently here in Colo and after exiting the slippery hills in my neighborhood, I switched it back to Normal without touching anything else. There was a noticeable bump in torque to the wheels upon switching to Normal, meaning throttle mapping is involved in the slippery mode. Opposite thing happened upon reselecting slippery mode when getting back in my neighborhood, the throttle immediately became less responsive.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Had the opportunity to use Snow/Gravel/Mud mode recently here in Colo and after exiting the slippery hills in my neighborhood, I switched it back to Normal without touching anything else. There was a noticeable bump in torque to the wheels upon switching to Normal, meaning throttle mapping is involved in the slippery mode. Opposite thing happened upon reselecting slippery mode when getting back in my neighborhood, the throttle immediately became less responsive.
That is correct. ALL of the modes mess with throttle mapping, shift points, and CCD(If equipped). They also drop you in to 4A, 4H, and 4L depending on the mode in some cases. This is well documented in the manual, and on here many times.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just to give anyone a quick comparison - With the stock tires on the Expy our Commander runs circles around the Expy in the snow.

The Commander has worn-out (down to the wear bars) Yokohama Geolanders on it.
The Expy has 5k on brand new Hankooks.

4wd helps, but tires make all the difference.
whoa! haven't heard the commander come up for while... love that platform.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My issue is the noises this engine makes when started in these cold temps. Mine gives a whole lot of whirring and slight humming sounds from what can only be described as the pulleys and possibly things like lifters. some of the sounds are on the front of the engine and some are on the sides, close to the exhaust manifolds. Speaking of exhaust manifolds, anyone have possible issues with the cold causing the manifolds to possibly shrink and create gaps. It sort of sounds like slight exhaust leaks when started this cold.

Don't get me wrong, even previous vehicles I've had often had different noises when started this cold, but this one seems more than previous ones.

It does drive well in the snow, but if not in snow mode, the turbos absolutely break the rear loose pretty easily when they spin up.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If there is deep snow, I prefer normal mode with the traction control turned off, so you can get more wheel spin. The snow mode will limit torque and I don't find it productive in deep snow, it is fine on icy surfaces and can help there. Maybe I am just too old school and drove too much without all the nanny features and I just find them annoying now.
whoa! haven't heard the commander come up for while... love that platform.
I loved my commander, just wish it had been a little bigger...
It was a rocketship in all weather conditions. It probably weighed as much as the expedition and it was half the size. :)

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is correct. ALL of the modes mess with throttle mapping, shift points, and CCD(If equipped). They also drop you in to 4A, 4H, and 4L depending on the mode in some cases. This is well documented in the manual, and on here many times.
What mode switches it to 4L? I don't think I have experienced that. I have used 4L a number of times but have not seen a mode/condition switch to that automatically?

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tires make all the difference, though: including braking. I'm pleased with my upgraded Hankook tires with the 3PMSF rated tires.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What mode switches it to 4L? I don't think I have experienced that. I have used 4L a number of times but have not seen a mode/condition switch to that automatically?
Need Rock Mode. That will prompt to switch to N, to complete the change to 4L. Pretty sure our 2020 Limited does not have that, but I know the Timberline 2022+ do.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Need Rock Mode. That will prompt to switch to N, to complete the change to 4L. Pretty sure our 2020 Limited does not have that, but I know the Timberline 2022+ do.
Yes, pretty sure I do not have a rock mode. I have tried all the modes and have not seen a rock mode that prompted a switch to neutral. I wonder what else rock mode does? Smooths out pedal pressure? I think jeeps do that in their "rock crawling" mode.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My issue is the noises this engine makes when started in these cold temps. Mine gives a whole lot of whirring and slight humming sounds from what can only be described as the pulleys and possibly things like lifters. some of the sounds are on the front of the engine and some are on the sides, close to the exhaust manifolds. Speaking of exhaust manifolds, anyone have possible issues with the cold causing the manifolds to possibly shrink and create gaps. It sort of sounds like slight exhaust leaks when started this cold.

Don't get me wrong, even previous vehicles I've had often had different noises when started this cold, but this one seems more than previous ones.

It does drive well in the snow, but if not in snow mode, the turbos absolutely break the rear loose pretty easily when they spin up.
It’s a pretty noisey engine on cold starts even in warm temps. Heard many different makes do this, smog pump on some, this has waste gates. Etc. I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. Some people are freaked out by it. Guess I just grew up around loud shit so it has no effect on me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65