So where to start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shonk

Reaction score
I've only had my Expedition a couple of weeks and I've read a lot of information on various parts, lifts, lights, wheels etc. I find myself a bit overwhelmed by it all, and not sure where to start modifying my truck. My budget will be small and sporadic as I have 6 children, 5 of school ages. So, im looking to you 4x4 Expy Pros out there to give me the good advice and give me some potential modification agendas.. Your help is appreciated.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheapest mod is crank your torsion bars and level out the expy makes it look better.... then the sky is the limit with mods my favorite shopping place is EBAY can find almost anything for expy and usually dirt cheap... i've bought my steps, headlights, taillights, grill, throttle body spacer, HIDs both headlight and fogs, roll pan.... and one other toy i'll post pics of when it gets here... but if you need any advice ask away someone will get you the answer you need

lakesidebluexpy

Reaction score
a lot will depend on just what you are trying to accomplish (by modding). i might suggest with 6 kids and this being a new-to-you vehicle that maybe you should really just drive it for a month or two. get used to the vehicle and see just how you really use it. that in turn might help point you towards some logical mods.

some things you might find in a local auto wreck yard, things like navi tails- the outside ones are plug and play on a first gen expy. same with harley heads and corners. you could take things off to change the look subtly- like the roof rack.

the best use of limited cash however might be to do preventive maintenance.

good luck with the ride......lakeside

Never_Evil

Reaction score
If you are planning to do any towing of a camper, or any trailer, get some air bag suspension in the back. The stock springs are weak and will look like a dog dragging its rear on the carpeting.

I am only speculating on this, but since you have 6 children, I am sure you may be on a tight budget. I would not suggest getting bigger tires or getting it up higher in the air. Do what you can to increase your gas milage.

What are your plans for the truck? Do you want it to be an offroad truck, mall crawler, or basic transportation? Is this truck able to be down for a few days while you do any modifications to it?

This is a very capable truck in stock form.

DatDude

Reaction score
Need Help

Im new on here and I've had my expedtion about a year. Its a 1999 XLT 2wd and i put some spacers in the back and now the back is sitting up way higher than the front. Ive been hearing about cranking the torsion bar to give the front some lift but dont know how to do it could somebody help me?