Solar battery charge through the 12v socket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My current DashCam is a Viofo A118C and I have been very happy with it for the past three years.

I am planning on upgrading to its successor, the A129. The A129 can be had with dual camera for both front and rear recording. It has wifi built in, so you can view/download videos wirelessly.

But one of the features is the optional wiring kit that connects to both switched and unswitched power. When the car is off, the camera will go into a sentinel mode where it reduces the frame rate and records on motion. So its recording if someone walks up to your car or another car bumps into it while you are parked. There are three parking modes to choose from. If your battery voltage drops to a configured low level, it will turn off the camera.

MuddySpokes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Viofo looks neat. Had not considered a unit like that as I focused on systems that worked in both visible and IR ranges.

Downside to working with IR is that it does not pass well through glass, so that is another factor I am working through.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a bunch of YouTube videos on the A129. Watch some of those reviews to see it is for you.

They do have an IR model, but that I think it used mostly in "Taxi" mode where the 2nd Camera has IR and is used to record your passengers. That way if you are an Uber drive, you can have a recording of your interactions with riders who may cause trouble.

OP
OP
Munkiebunz3

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked into a 24/7 dashcam system myself.

Am considering a similar approach to Cyclone's with a dedicated battery. The difference is that I am looking at a battery isolator so that the alternator will charge the dashcam's battery. Reasoning for the isolator is to prevent the dashcam system from killing the main battery, especially if it's dedicated battery dies and simply sucks current. Adding solar to that leg is something that I had considered but just not decided on.

I've been looking at the electrical system for the Expy. It's rough. The positive cable appears to go to the fuse box which then goes to the starter. Unless I can get my hands on a wiring diagram to confirm, it looks like isolating our main battery to become a starter battery might be nigh impossible without a ton of work. The fuse box in the passenger footwell has a very nice quick disconnect. That should be easy enough to swap to the secondary battery to Isolate more of the vehicle systems.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It depends on whether you are going to install a battery isolator or another alternator. One issue is how the BCM is going to behave with 2 charging circuits.

Without the isolator the alternator will overcharge the other battery.

How fast do you need the batteries to recharge using solar?

OP
OP
Munkiebunz3

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well that bcm reminder kinda puts another snag in the dual battery setup. Do they have a dual alternator kit for the 3.5 eco? I haven't seen one.
How do the police do their dual battery?
I bought the repair manual for the expy. Not sure if it will include any info for the ssv.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Someone with Forscan may be able to check through the electrical settings and let you know if anything for the dual batteries/alternator is there.

Also RockAuto shows your alternator output to be 250 amps so the isolator need to handle more than that. In a quick search I only found 150 amp as the highest.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Munkiebunz3

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@stamp11127 I can see isolators on Amazon that are 300 amp & higher. When you look at the fuses on the positive terminal of the battery harness it's a 125A to the fuse box and 350A to the alternator. So I'll be looking for an isolator and breaker near the same rating. I'm also going to check out my friend's f250 that has factory dual battery. 20190816_132730.jpg 20190816_132740.jpg

MuddySpokes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless I am missing something, the charging system will handle a second battery behind an isolator just fine and merely see it as another load. Put another way, people who tow trailers with a battery (with and without an isloator) do this all the time without any reported issues or need to re-work the OE wiring . . . Actually, the only common comment I see is that the OE lead gauge is too small.

Am sensing that my comment about a dedicated battery for the DVR system is not translating well. Toward sizing, am looking at something with just enough capacity to keep the DVR alive for maybe a few days which is probably about as big as the common UPS battery. Am not really worried about maximizing the second battery's SOC as even if it does need charging when the alternator goes into float, it will still receive current.

OP
OP
Munkiebunz3

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@MuddySpokes I also didn't realize that not all cameras run off the 12v socket. Some are converted to the usb power. I read your comment with my personal experience and application in mind. But still, a good idea.

BTW, we can use a solar panel to charge the battery via the 12v port. There aren't any diodes. I got a (free) real solar panel rated at 255w, 36V and about 9A, plugged in to my mppt controller with a 12v female socket at the end & plugged it into the rear power outlet. Wam bam and charging at 12.8v 3A on a cloudy day, no direct sunlight, with the sun behind the building next to me.
Now I run into trying to mount it to my rails without drilling any extra holes in the roof. I do have a nutsert tool but I want that to be last resort.
The panel is 39" wide while the roof rack width is 38.25".