Sound proofing/insulation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eric_in_tx

Reaction score
Ok, so I am considering improving the sound proofing of the Expy especially in the cargo/3rd row seat area. Considering removing the interior panels and using a little expanding foam insulation. Possibly doing the same around the speaker area of the doors and then into the pillars. This should reduce the road noise a bit. I realise it is an Expy and not a Lexus so not trying to be super quiet here. However if my basic assumptions are right it would improve not only the sound but also keep the interior temp of the vehicle more regulated and improve the sound quality of the speakers by helping to eliminate vibrations.

Has anyone every done this?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The key to sound proofing is in the density of the material. I worked with a geothermal heat pump manufacturer that used automotive grade sound deadening insulation in its units. It made them very quiet but it also made them very heavy. The trick is to find a balance that doesn't add too much weight to the vehicle.

bigbill13

Reaction score
This is my first post to anything on here so please be gentle. If your going to try and sound prof your truck do hushmat regular and hushmat foam on all the areas you can get to as for the hard to reach places like the pillars get boxes of pollyfiber fill it takes some time but it works