spark plug issue......help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hairy

Reaction score
98 5.4L expy
No. 3 plug blows out of head stripping the threads.
I tapped out the hole and put a insert in per direction.
I also put new plugs all the way around and a new coil on the blown out plug.

I turned the piston by hand and used a mirror and a strong flashlight to check for contact on the piston. I did not see any marks on what I could see with that method.

I put everything back together and preceded to start the engine.

For about 5 seconds the engine turned over like it should, then it turned over making a different sound that sounded like it was struggling to just turn over.
I'm sure it is not the battery.

After some thought and conversation I'm thinking it could be the CAM CRANK SENSOR.
Your opinions please

OP
OP
H

hairy

Reaction score
NO, it did not start. It only turned over.
thanks for the reply

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
it ran good before the plug blow out?did shavings get in the piston

OP
OP
H

hairy

Reaction score
Yes it ran good before this happen. I drove it thru the North Georgia mountains for a weekend trip and then the following week the plug blew.

concerning shavings, it is possible that some shavings did get on the piston. I did my best to avoid that issue by putting grease on the tap hoping that the shavings would stick to it. After I tapped it, I use a magnet to get the remaining shavings out. It is possible though that some may had got on the piston.

Thanks for your help with this.

gto78

Reaction score
you may want to unhook the ignition or ecm system, and do a compression test. Make sure the battery is completely charged, and 100% sure there is NO ignition, and NO fuel. Pull the fuel pump fuse too. Then with the compression tester screwed into that cylinder, crank the engine with the throttle wide open until the compression won't go any higher. You can compare on all cylinders and know whether that one is screwed.

Remember that shavings will scratch the cylinder wall, and possibly get stuck under that valve seats, but won't cause the engine to crank slower. What caused the plug to blow out? Make sure that cylinder isn't filling with water or oil.

OP
OP
H

hairy

Reaction score
finally a reply,
I really don't know what caused the plug to blow. It just happen.
How about the camshaft position sensor going bad???
Would that cause the symptoms I describe???
thanks again for the reply.

gto78

Reaction score
While a cam or crank sensor will cause it to not start, I doubt it suddenly went bad while changing all the spark plugs. I've seen a lot of people change spark plugs and suddenly it runs poorly or won't start. My first thought is that you possibly connected the spark plug leads to the wrong cylinders, or maybe unplugged a coil lead, or unplugged a sensor somewhere. Also check all your fuses under the hood and inside the cab. You may have a simple problem like that, hopefully just a loose connector somewhere. If it's harder to turn over, that may be because it's not getting ignition.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LOL, no its not. When i swapped plugs my truck was a little resistant to wanting to start back up. Coil packs in fords are so ****** its not even funny. Check ur coil packs. There are specs on line for what the resistance should be. If it was just a plug u replaced the only other thing that i can think of would be electrical stuff not working right. Also, double check to make sure everything is hooked up where it should. You could of forgot something stupid that needs to be re plugged in.