Spark Plug Location 2000 Expd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I feel dumb asking this question as I work on all my cars before. I can't seem to find the spark plugs in my Expd? Please help me because I'm getting a misfire in head two which I think is due to the sparkpulgs.

I Have a 2000 XLT 5.4 lt 4x4

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See picture below. On the Triton engines, at the 5.4l, the spark plug setup is what is called "coil over plug". What you are not seeing are the now obsolete spark plug wires leading to the spark plugs from the distributor cap.

Now, each spark plug has its own coil, so there are no large plug wires carrying high voltage to the plug.

In the picture, the coils are attached to the top of the spark plug, and is located next to the fuel injector.

Please get a Haynes manual, or a factory manual to guide you through this job. I have not done mine yet (I will this spring), but I have heard it is a little complicated as for the plugs near the rear of the engine (which is basically under the dash, and you need about 13 swival joints on your ratchet to get to it :( ).

Anyway, if I do not see any other posts about this, I will try to dig something up. By the way, the plags are Platinum plugs, and I see a bunch of folks using the Bosch +4 for the replacement.

How about folks post their experience changing out the spark plugs on the Exby.....

Also, when you post, please give us the model year and type of Exby you have. It really helps us help you!!!

Attachments

• image94.gif
    81 KB · Views: 1,941

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice pic.

I think I'll save it for future reference when others ask. :D I always wanted to go out and take a picture yet always forgot as soon as I turned off my computer!

BTW,

He did tell us the model year & type of Expy. It's in his sig. ! :)

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks!! I actually found the pic using a google search.

What concerns me now that I am re-reading my post, is that it seems I was slightly drunk, but I don't remember drinking THAT much. My God...I hope I don't talk like that :eek:

I will have to make a better effort at editing my posts :cheers:

OP
OP
G

Done

I finished it took me only 5 hours. I got the four on the passenger side done without having to remove anything :) but, the drivers side I removed the bracket that held the brake fluid container and removed the gas line for the back two. :( Not to bad but, also not as easy as my Sentra.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which plugs did you use, and how is the Exby running. I am planning to do this soon as well (I have 86k on mine with original plugs), and I was planning to use the Bosch +4 Platinums, but as with anything, there is a lot of controversy about which ones are the best to put in. If it takes 5hrs+, I want to get it right the first time!!

OP
OP
G

I put Bosch Platinum 2's in it and mine has been running a little rough. Any other comments?

OP
OP
G

Use Motorcraft plugs. They have been engineered to use on your vehicle. I would not recommend Bosch plugs on a Ford. We remove them all the time at work. Besides, you have 86k on your originals. Why not replace them with something you know you are going to get great results with.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire