Spark plug questions/misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ps4acc88

Ps4acc88

Reaction score
Replacing the spark plugs is not that hard... you do have the danger of breaking them off but there are a few things that yon can do to help... 1. Pickup or borrow a half inch Impact. 2. Run the engine to running temp. 3. use the impact on the Spark plugs. I have done this a tone with no Fail..
NOW I still have to warn you that it is a possibility where it can brake off in the head.. and I have done both sending to ford and getting a tool to remove them.

bottom line if you chose to do it your self DON"T try with a normal hand wrench. if you do you will need this tool.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lil-65600?seid=srese2&cm_mmc=pla-msn-_-shopping-_-srese2-_-lisle&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing+Shopping+Ads&utm_term=1100100887795&utm_content=All+Products.

It is a must... all the other removal tools are not exactly useful this one is a slam dunk... its what my ford dealer used to get mine out.

Coil packs are so simple to replace... if I were you... just replace the coils first THEN if you still have problems take on the spark plug replacement.

when it comes to ODBII readers I bought a reader from amazon for $20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UFL2HP0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

then you can install the ForScan app on your phone or laptop. and in there you can actually watch live to see a miss fire count from the time you started the engine to current time.. this will tell you what you need to know...

This is what I do with the 5.43V... bottom line don't be afraid of this fix... its easy.. and you can usually do it without any tools... (unless the sparkplug actually does break then you need to get that tool)

I'm not a rookie when it comes to car, but no expert. I have thought about changing the plugs myself but the thought of one braking scares me enough not to try and just pay someone to do it right. The cop I will change myself. I have the Ford scan app, how can you monitor it live?

fordexpylvr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been through all this myself. Ended up changing all plugs and coils and it seems to be fine now. also changed 2 fuel injectors. its a bit pricey but if they are factory yes you need em. I now have the rocker panel rust and am concerned on the cam phaser possibility. my 07 has 84000 mi and I am not taking the chance. am trading for a 17 xlt tomorrow

OP
OP
Ps4acc88

Ps4acc88

Reaction score
I have been through all this myself. Ended up changing all plugs and coils and it seems to be fine now. also changed 2 fuel injectors. its a bit pricey but if they are factory yes you need em. I now have the rocker panel rust and am concerned on the cam phaser possibility. my 07 has 84000 mi and I am not taking the chance. am trading for a 17 xlt tomorrow

Let us know how much they offer you on the trade in, I took mine today to a dealership (shopping for the wife, no plans of trading expo) and they seemed intrested but not too much. I can't imagine they will pull in decent money on a trade in, but I am intrested.

fordexpylvr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my expy is unusual. it only has 84000 miles, new tires and is extremely sharp and I got 8000 outta mine, am trading for a 17 xlt with 35k miles. 36500 for it and trading for 28500. I just want to upgrade as well while I can get a good trade. depends on the vehicle but average trade is about 4 or 5K. the one I am trading for was a rental from Seattle.

OP
OP
Ps4acc88

Ps4acc88

Reaction score
The 5.4 L engine design was changed on engines built on and after October 10, 2007. The date can be found on the left valve cover.

The Ford TSB describing the old style plug replacement and use of the Ford removal tool is TSB 08-7-6.

Read it in full text with pictures and diagrams here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...VMxmGtvs01omxg

Thanks for the info, I guess this sadly confirms I have the crappy plugs.

Anyone in the dfw area who recommends a good mechanic? Ford said they charge $599 and it covers up to 2 extractions if needed. If 4 or 5 break there may be an additional charge.

Plati

Reaction score
The 5.4 L engine design was changed on engines built on and after October 10, 2007. The date can be found on the left valve cover.

The Ford TSB describing the old style plug replacement and use of the Ford removal tool is TSB 08-7-6.

Read it in full text with pictures and diagrams here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...VMxmGtvs01omxg
Its interesting the Makuloco video
1) remove with engine hot
2) use impact wrench not hand tool ......
..... and the TSB states exactly the opposite.

OP
OP
Ps4acc88

Ps4acc88

Reaction score
my expy is unusual. it only has 84000 miles, new tires and is extremely sharp and I got 8000 outta mine, am trading for a 17 xlt with 35k miles. 36500 for it and trading for 28500. I just want to upgrade as well while I can get a good trade. depends on the vehicle but average trade is about 4 or 5K. the one I am trading for was a rental from Seattle.

Man that's a good trade in offer, an yeah low miles like that are rare on expeditions of our model

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its interesting the Makuloco video
1) remove with engine hot
2) use impact wrench not hand tool ......
..... and the TSB states exactly the opposite.

When I changed mine I followed the TSB and makuloco a bit in combination and it worked well. I did not crank the engine with the plug removed instead I blew out all the plug wells with the compressor beforehand. My engine was cold when I did the job.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I removed all the coils and boots on the cold engine, then loosened all the plugs 1/4ish turn. I then sprayed carb cleaner down the plug wells and let it soak for 20 minutes. I then finished the job removing them with the impact quick. Then reverse the procedure and torque them in. I didn’t find the job to be difficult with this method.