Special tool to remove rear brake caliper on 2012 Expy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

westtexas

Reaction score
After a painless install of some upgraded rotors and pads on the front of my 2012 Expedition King Ranch, I decided to do the rear as well.

However after pulling the wheel, I found that in order to remove the top "floating" part of the rear brake caliper, you need what seems to be a special size allen-type wrench. A 7mm was too small and an 8mm was too big. Similar sizes in SAE didn't work either.

Is there a special size for this?

Thanks in advance!
WT

ColoExpdn

Reaction score
2010, 7mm worked for me

I replaced my rear pads (2010 Expedition Limited). A 7mm hex wrench worked for mine.

OP
OP
W

westtexas

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Strange that on mine (2012), the 7mm hex was too small.

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NAAHH it should be a 9MM Allen wrench. it should be that one. I did them for my 2006 Expo. be sure you insert the tool properly.

OP
OP
W

westtexas

Reaction score
LOL...ok we're all over the map here on sizes. 8mm was too big on mine. So I'm pretty sure it's not a 9mm. Really confused now.

CJ0920

Reaction score
I just did this. The front is definately a 9mm. My mechanics tool set went from 7,8,10 and skipped 9. A local auto parts store had the 9mm hex that said specific for ford calipers.

The rear I believe was smaller, I just did a lift and had to remove the calipers last weekend. I'm sure its was a 7 in the rear. I initially had problems but had to tap it into place to sort of force it in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carloss0712