Speedometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate03

Reaction score
So since I have gotten the Expy I have felt like the speedo is slow because going the speed I used to go in my old car had people riding my tail and that has never happened. I used a GPS app to check the speed and it is off by 2 mph at nearly every speed. I checked the app against other vehicles and a roadside cop sign that shows your speed and it is dead on. Anyone else have this issue? Would that be a warranty fix? Also, wouldn't that increase my mileage? At 60 mph it is 2 mph and actually going 58. If that's the case my car is over 3% off on the mileage. At this point that could be 1,000 miles!! Any thoughts?

OP
OP
N

Nate03

Reaction score
It is a 2017 XLT by the way. It did come from Canada, so not sure if that is the problem.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have a 2017 XLT but an EL. My speedometer runs 1 mph slower than my Garmin GPS. My work van runs 3mph slow!

I've found many vehicles are off. Others spot on. Now what if my Garmin GPS is off?:(

Not related but good to vent:
The work van is also GPS tracked (Verizon) by the company. I kept getting dinged for speeding which I wasn't. I contacted Verizon's division that oversees this. They had to update the firmware on the unit in my vehicle, it was reading 6mph high.

OP
OP
N

Nate03

Reaction score
I think I would rather it be slow, because am I incorrect in assuming this is tacking on roughly 3.4% more miles than it should be? That means at 100k miles I will only have 96700. Also, my warranty will be over roughly 1k sooner than it should.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
... You linked to an an article from sixteen (16) years ago! :)

1.5% +/- variation is the allowed tolerance I see in Federal statutes as "reasonable". At 70mph that anywhere between 68.95 and 71.05 mph. I doubt you can interpret the needle that closely at any speed and the digital display on the two cars I have with it read to the nearest whole number.

Commercial GPS will sometimes show I'm driving in a corn field or the wrong way on a divided highway in some atmospheric conditions so 1.5% tolerance for speed may be all the better some GPS units can do as well.

Speedos depend on OEM tire sizes, of course. I think there's some correction that can be made in Forscan.

-- Chuck

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A speedo readout can be off as much as +/- 4 MPH. If you have a digital readout, it might not match your analog gauge, either. A likely cause for a "slow" reading is your tires. If you put slightly larger tires on your factory wheels, it slows down the speedometer readout at highway speeds.