Spotting a fake Nav disc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

misspelledone

Reaction score
I recently picked up a factory nav unit and installed it in the truck. There is also an extra update disc included, but when installed it seems to lock the nav up. If I use the old disc it's fine.

Is there anyway to spot a fake/copied nav disc?

Thanks!
Misspelledone

OP
OP
M

misspelledone

Reaction score
No I didn't by it new, I bought along with the Nav unit I purchased. The Nav unit came with the original 7p disc and I was given the chance to also purchase 13p disc for $100. I figured since the original disc was 2007 it was probably time for an update.

My concern came when I took out the old disc and installed the new one, the discs appear different. One of them is purplish on the bottom and the other is plain silver. The label for the new disc also looks like it came off a cheap printer.

Thanks!

OP
OP
M

misspelledone

Reaction score
Would anyone here who has a newer Nav disc take it out and look at the bottom and see what color it is?

I know a lot of the fake import Nav discs can be spotted this way.

Thanks!
Misppelledone

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The disc may be "fine" digitally but the reader doesn't read the media that was used. What type of discs were used for the originals and the update, cd - dvd?
If dvd, what type of dvd?

You also try to "read" the update disc on your computer but don't be surprised if it doesn't. The only thing you would be interested in is the directory information.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmtodd1973