Starving for something when opening up throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK I give! I was following the thread, and didn't read anything about a kit for throttle body. Can you fill me and the others in what part you changed, and how you came to that conclusion.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never mind, I didn't see the post where you ordered the part from Amazon. My phone won't let me pull up the items you guys show under your post, Sorry. Anyway glad you got it right!

OP
OP
Jb14

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It worked.

- no more stumble at throttle tip in
- motor is far more response with freeway on ramps, as in more power to get the job done

Make certain that you disconnect the battery, reconnect, turn key on and watch dash light calm themselves, then start and let it idle for 15 to 20 minutes as the computer relearns

It will be interesting to see if fuel mileage improves.

Spirited driving is much more enjoyable.

The kit I referenced early included the gasket for between the TB and the manifold, 20 ~ 30 minute job to install 10mm deep socket for the eight bolts and 8mm for the battery terminal.
That is great to hear! The more I test the more it feels and sounds like you originally described as the throttle body being my issue as well. I am not one for throwing parts at my truck without having it checked out first but I think I'm going to get the throttle body in the next few weeks and see how it goes. Thank you

OP
OP
Jb14

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 3rd go around I changed my plugs and COPs out myself. From my experience go ford plug and COPs. I went champion 1st swap not bad but not the best. I did standard motor products on the COPs (Mistake) I have had two fails and am buying Motorcraft COPs off rockauto

KC1903

Reaction score
Update:

A subtle stumble is still present in my Expedition when the rpms are low and the Trans is in O/D. Acceleration is significantly improved, responsiveness to the go pedal is fantastic.

Either the TB or the relearn process or the combination of the two are responsible for the improvements, no other changes made.

I know I need new plugs and I get a misfired code thrown on #3 the moment the truck is jossled around by driving on a dirt road or through a driveway that is a significant speed bump.

My plan is to replace all the plugs and plug boots as new to me vehicle maintenance, and a new Motorcraft COP for #3.

That would leave fuel pressure / fuel pump driver module / injectors.

I’m going to research the fuel pump driver module to see if I can find any information on how it is commanded by the ECM.

I now have confidence to pass on a highway or roll out into traffic.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fuel pump driver module is relatively cheap to change, but as a rule caused much more severe problems than what your having. Maybe remove spare tire, crawl around the area and inspect it. As far as having problems with a cylinder after 4 wheeling, or going over a good sized bump, sounds like a corroded, or poor wire connection. The wiring going to the Cops, and injectors go bad, and cause weird problems. You can buy harness sections at all the parts stores, Oreillys, AutoZone. Smoke the motor to find any intake leaks. Your motors running too strong to be having a fuel pump problem, but check the pressure just the same. Standard used to make decent quality electrical, but like all else, some money grubbing company took over. You can bet the CEO of Standard drives a top shelf Mercedes, or Jaguar, and has the dealer only service them. Glad it's running better.

OP
OP
Jb14

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for the update. Not sure if this is chasing the wrong direction but I have read on quite a few boards where the Catalytic converter was clogged or partially clogged causing to much back pressure and giving the stumble effect, though not the main issue but just another part of the chain. Thoughts?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could, have them checked at an exaust shop, along with readings for the oxygen sensors. A lazy o2 could be contributing to the stumble.

KC1903

Reaction score
Update:

Mine is not the throttle body.

New plugs and boots helped significantly as four plugs had been only finger tight, no more exhaust leak sounds.

The FORScan software picked up a misfire on 3 so I moved the coil to 5, ordered new coil as the misfire moved from 3 to 5 - while diagnostically significant for a moment it is a poor decision if left alone. My other scan software did not pick up the misfire on 3 or after the move on 5, only FORScan picked up the misfire on 5.

The bad part is that the misfire on 3 probably clogged the cat as it went unnoticed for time, if left alone the misfire on 5 will clog the other cat.

My problems are the cats, lowest I can find entire replacements is $600 and my local shop wants $800 to replace the cats with universals. Next paycheck dedicated to the cats.

This really sucks.

And my mpg has dropped from 17 to 13.

The stumble is real and is due to too much restriction in the cats. Now, I get the flashing CEL under any hard acceleration.

Looking forward to any amazing running motor once the cats are replaced.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire