Steam or spra from exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwc928s4

Reaction score
Hi all, drove home from work yesterday, about a 15 minute trip. shut my 2003 expy off, got out, and heard a trange hissing or spraying sound. Got down on all fours, I'm in Ohio, so it was in about 5 inches of snow..yuck. And coming right out of the bottom of the exhaust was a steady and loud spray like steam. I noticed a small hole in the exhaust it was coming from. It was after the vehicle was off, and lasted about 30 seconds until the pressuer ran out. does anyone know what this is from ? And what in the exhaust would build up pressure like that ?

Thanks in advance

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What part of the exhaust?

Perhaps you had some snow packed above the exhaust pipe, and as it melted it hit the hot pipes...?

OP
OP
D

dwc928s4

Reaction score
It wasnt from a pipe, it was blowing right out of the bottom of the exhaust itself. with alot of pressure behing it. thanks for the reply.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where?
Muffler/back of truck?
Middle, near the cats?
Up front, under the engine?

Let us know the location.

At any rate, you shouldn't have the kind of pressure in your exhaust system that would force pressurized air/water/steam out.

Some mufflers have a pin-size hole to let condensation escape. Was it a drip or a pressurized spray?

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if it was pressurized then you may have a serious problem like a clogged cat or some kind of major restriction in the exhaust....... Sure you don't have a potato in the tailpipe??? LOL
Matt