Steering column issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobblebrook

Reaction score
I have a 2000 4wd with a 4" body lift. I have just developed a "knocking" feeling through the steering column. I have gone through the front end replacing all the ball joints, and hubs. I have looked for a new intermediate shaft to replace the old column section but can't find one that matches what I have. The one I have appears to be a slip shaft, not sure if this is due to lift, or if it is a safety design related to impact and air bag deployment. Any ideas or input would be appreciated. I should note that when I grab the column there is considerable play in it. I am wondering if in this shaft there is supposed to be some kind of a bushing that goes in where the shafts intersect to keep out the play.

Mikiedoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was unaware that any company made a 4" body lift. What kit part number do you own?

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there play in the shaft close to the firewall inside? Also 4" BL is to big so that may cause a problem. I'm guessing it's homemade?