Steering feels like its in 4x4 mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jexpy97

Reaction score
Hello. I have a 1997 exp 4x4 with a switch (2hi, a4wd, 4hi and 4low). I've never used the 4x4 feature but lately my steering has been feeling really tight making me wonder if it got switched.

I was wondering how can I test if it's stuck in 4x4?

Can I jack up one front end and if the wheel spins freely does that mean its in 2hi?

rjrodney

Reaction score
Just crank you wheel all the way to one side and drive some tight circles in the parking lot. You will be able to tell right away if it’s in 4x4 if it’s lurching and binding.

OP
OP
J

Jexpy97

Reaction score
Just crank you wheel all the way to one side and drive some tight circles in the parking lot. You will be able to tell right away if it’s in 4x4 if it’s lurching and binding.
Thank you for the reply. I tried that and it feels like there is some minor binding but no lurching. I also lifted the front end and the each wheel spins independently so that's good.

While driving at lower speeds there is a whining sound that is in sync with when I accelerate. And my steering is most stiff while going slow in reverse. I checked my powersteering fluid and it was above max so i assume its old and attracted moisture. I changed some of the fluid out so hopefully that helps and will change out some more after I drive it for a while.

Either way I'm just relieved it's not the 4x4 system.

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the powersteering pump is going. Also, check your gearbox, but gearbox going bad ususally means sloppy steering, not striffer one.

SlivaRich

Reaction score
Might be the ujoints on your intermediate steering shaft that goes to your steering box.
Mine felt like I had manual steering. Removed the steering shaft and could tell the ujoints were binding.
Replaced the shaft and solved the issue.

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might be the ujoints on your intermediate steering shaft that goes to your steering box.
Mine felt like I had manual steering. Removed the steering shaft and could tell the ujoints were binding.
Yes, the U-joints in the intermediate shaft are a common issue. Use PB Blaster to clean, and then grease using a silicon-based grease. Saved almost a thousand dollors in repairs in my son's Volvo...

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The U-joints in the immediate shaft, seem like they made the steering loose when it was failing. But after having mine for 20 years when I replaced it which cost less than $350, the steering was back to normal. But also keep an eye on the 4WD actuator that goes out after 20 years also.

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The U-joints in the immediate shaft, seem like they made the steering loose when it was failing. But after having mine for 20 years when I replaced it which cost less than $350, the steering was back to normal. But also keep an eye on the 4WD actuator that goes out after 20 years also.
yes, when they fail, it feels loose. But, when they start binding due to old grease and crud, they feel tight.

OP
OP
J

Jexpy97

Reaction score
I think this might be it. Thank you.