Steering is heavy all of the sudden?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Have you checked the fluid level yet?
The level on mine can be seen without removing anything. It is a ****** reservoir on the drivers side closer to the engine on mine. If the fluid is there I would suspect the pump.
I have rarely seen power steering go quietly without it being the pump. Hopefully some of the mechanics on here can join in.
I imagine this thing is a beast to steer without PS.

OP
OP
NC-Expy

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you checked the fluid level yet?
The level on mine can be seen without removing anything. It is a ****** reservoir on the drivers side closer to the engine on mine. If the fluid is there I would suspect the pump.
I have rarely seen power steering go quietly without it being the pump. Hopefully some of the mechanics on here can join in.
I imagine this thing is a beast to steer without PS.

just checked the level of the PS fluid, it's a little bit above maximum but it's quite black.

dirty in other words..

should i drain it and refill?

OP
OP
NC-Expy

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
also...

where can i buy PS fluid...

never really replaced it before, i know i need to use Ford premium or whatever but please tell me i don't have to buy it from ford...

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you can go to any autozone or somewhere like that and pick up PS fluid. if it is black, i would def get it changed out. it could just be clogging your ps pump.

OP
OP
NC-Expy

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you can go to any autozone or somewhere like that and pick up PS fluid. if it is black, i would def get it changed out. it could just be clogging your ps pump.

thanks. think wal-mart would have any? i usually get my engine oil from there

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any updates? Is it fixed?

Did you check the belt to see if it slips?

Isn't there a wire and a sensor mounted on the pump to monitor or control pressure at various speeds?

OP
OP
NC-Expy

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any updates? Is it fixed?

Did you check the belt to see if it slips?

Isn't there a wire and a sensor mounted on the pump to monitor or control pressure at various speeds?

sorry for the late response, but yeah, all i did was get it inspected, told them about it.. they said everything is fine. after a couple of days it just turned back to normal... air pressure in tires didnt change.

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i hate my steering, its so easy to steer that i could a pinkey, i dont like it like that, i love it staying in place, with a little resistance while turning

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Install some underdrive pullies. It'll free up some HP, and underdrive the power steering, which in turn will toughen it up a little.